[news.software.b] Trouble with Path: line...

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (09/13/90)

I've known about this problem for months, and have been trying
to fix it for days....

If you look at the top of this post at the Path: line, you will
notice that it ends with   gagme!gagme.chi.il.us

Shouldn't it end with  gagme!greg   ????

What am I doing wrong??  I think I have the latest version of
the news software.  I must not be configuring it right.  Anybody
got any ideas???

This is driving me nuts!!!

-greg

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (09/15/90)

Technically, the "Path:" header line isn't supposed to be used for
email replies.  It's only supposed to be used to make sure that news
articles that have been to your system don't get sent to it again.
For that purpose, it doesn't matter that your Path line looks the way
it does.  Of course, for people with defective News/Mail software that
tries to use the Path line as a reply address, you *do* want to get it
fixed.  Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you on that score.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (09/16/90)

In article <701@gagme.chi.il.us> greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
>If you look at the top of this post at the Path: line, you will
>notice that it ends with   gagme!gagme.chi.il.us
>
>Shouldn't it end with  gagme!greg   ????

Are you by any chance using nntp?  Version 1.5.8 has this problem;
I hacked gen_frompath() in file inews/inews.c to fix it.  Later I
upgraded to 1.5.9 and noticed this had been fixed, but still did
not seem to work -- turned out it used a flag named seen_pathline
that wasn't initialized to zero.  With the addition of the proper
initialization it works fine.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	uunet!apple!zygot!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	zygot!ditka!kls@apple.com

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (Chuck Karish) (09/17/90)

In article <45486@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com
(Ron Heiby) writes:
[ in response for a query about FQDN in the 'Path: ' header ]

>Technically, the "Path:" header line isn't supposed to be used for
>email replies.  It's only supposed to be used to make sure that news
>articles that have been to your system don't get sent to it again.
>For that purpose, it doesn't matter that your Path line looks the way
>it does.  Of course, for people with defective News/Mail software that
>tries to use the Path line as a reply address, you *do* want to get it
>fixed.

Truncating the system name without registering it won't `fix' anything.

The registration of UUCP map entries assures that host names are
unique.  The local host name of a FQDN need not be unique on all
the Internet and in UUCP land; that's why domains exist, after all.

The deficient mail software will run into problems whether the
name is `fixed' or not.  If it's truncated, UUCP will try to
route the mail through a registered host that's almost certain
to be the wrong one.  If it's not, the local mailer will assume that
the mailer on the Internet host will recognize the next host in
the path by its UUCP name; more likely, the remote mailer will
try to resolve that name within its own local domain.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000