[news.software.b] Cnews sendbatches problem on a DECstation

thomson@zazen.macc.wisc.edu (Don Thomson) (09/15/90)

I've compiled Cnews and nntp 1.5.10 on a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.0.
News is spooling in just fine, but when I invoke sendbatches to send stuff off
I get the following message mailed to me:

	+ + nocomp
	+ batcher -d /news/spool/news togo.1
	viainews scout
	awk: hdrval is not an array
	sh: /dev/null/dead.article: cannot create
	batch/sendbatches: aborting

My batchparms default looks like:

# site		size	queue	builder	muncher	sender
# ----		----	-----	-------	-------	------
/default/	100000	20	batcher	nocomp	viainews

"inews" invokes "tear", apparently with the intention of pulling out the
headers, but I end up with a "/tmp/in$$hdr" file of size 0 which then makes
"anne.jones" burp with the message "awk: hdrval is not an array" because it
has been passed an empty argument.  The input to "tear" looks normal to me, but
the output is empty.

There is a reference in "The Interface Between C News And The Outside World"
that states "Although we have tried to avoid it, it is possible that some
things depend on awk recognizing ``\t'' inside strings, which very old awks
didn't."  I suppose it's possible that my awk is not up to par, thus causing
"tear" to fail, but I'd be surprised to find that to be the case.

I'm grasping at straws here and going blind from debugging shell scripts.  Does
this problem sound like anything anyone has already addressed?
--

----- Don Thomson ----- MACC, 1210 W. Dayton, Madison, WI  53706 -------------
    (608) 262-0138      thomson@macc.wisc.edu / thomson@wiscmacc.bitnet

In article <THOMSON.90Sep14173011@zazen.macc.wisc.edu> thomson@zazen.macc.wisc.edu (Don Thomson) writes:
>My batchparms default looks like:
>
># site		size	queue	builder	muncher	sender
># ----		----	-----	-------	-------	------
>/default/	100000	20	batcher	nocomp	viainews

Well, I'm not surprised you're having trouble!  What exactly is this
intended to be doing?  I assure you that it won't do what you think,
whatever that is.  This says to batch up a bunch of articles and then
shove that batch into inews as if it were an incoming news article.
It's not at all surprising that inews disapproves.

You will need to explain what you're attempting before any further help
can be supplied, unless intimate knowledge of NNTP (which I lack) tips
someone else off to the problem.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry