[news.software.b] Need a way to "take home" unread articles

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (09/22/90)

I need a program that, given a .newsrc file and the active file,
produce a listing of all the files containing the articles that have
not been read.

I want to be able to take the list of files and generate a tar tape
that I can take home and put on my machine to read there.  Since the
article numbers will be the same, it will make my .newsrc file
transferrable between home and work.

--
...David Elliott
...dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

In article <1990Sep22.023944.2535@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>I need a program that, given a .newsrc file and the active file,
>produce a listing of all the files containing the articles that have
>not been read.
>
>I want to be able to take the list of files and generate a tar tape
>that I can take home and put on my machine to read there.  Since the
>article numbers will be the same, it will make my .newsrc file
>transferrable between home and work.

NewsClip does this as a degenerate case.  It is on uunet in
 ~ftp/ClariNet/nc.tar.Z

Dynafeed will also do this but only for a 'pure' .newsrc with no gaps
in the article list.  (ie. only  foo.bar: 1-40  -- not -- foo.bar: 1-38,40)

Dynafeed is free.  It is in ~ftp/Clarinet/dynafeed.tar.Z.   NewsClip has
a small registration fee for single users.   It, of course, does a lot
more than just output a list of files.

laird@slum.MV.COM (Laird Heal) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep22.023944.2535@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>I need a program that, given a .newsrc file and the active file,
>produce a listing of all the files containing the articles that have
>not been read.

Maybe you want to feed yourself just those articles that you haven't read
before; maybe you want to 'reply' and carry a tape of replies back to the
original site for semi-automatic responses.

I used to use readnews -p -n comp.sys.mac to pump all of the articles down
the wire to me when I dialed in at 2400 baud.  I later got sophisticated and
piped it through compress in the background and then sz'd the result, when
the phone bills got too high.

The man page for readnews shows a -l argument "Only the titles output.  The
.newsrc file will not be updated. (where -e also updates the .newsrc file)

A trial run here of

[$] readnews -l -n news.newsites

produced

news.newsites/23     Updated map entry for seque.com

That was the only article; that group gets spun into a file along with my
maps in case I ever get ambitious and then I expire the entries.

You would have to do a wee bit of work with sed to produce the list of files,
something like

readnews -e -n news.newsites | sed 's/ .*$//' | sed 's/\./\//'

and prepend the name of your favorite news spool directory.
Hmm.  The above even worked.

>I want to be able to take the list of files and generate a tar tape
>that I can take home and put on my machine to read there.  Since the
>article numbers will be the same, it will make my .newsrc file
>transferrable between home and work.

Now getting those files into tar might be a little tougher.  Every time
I have tried to put more than about 100 file names into the shell, the
shell has asked me to rephrase my question.  Maybe appending to a tar
archive is working in your system; mine says:  sorry, Charlie, no -a.

One ugly solution is to cpio the files into a temporary directory, and
tar them from there.  This is ugly because it copies the files on disk
one extra time.

If I were doing this, I would get feeds batched and tote the batches.  You'll
probably feed replies back via uucp, they should be short.  Doing that,
incidentally, will throw your one-to-one correspondence off a little.  Your
replies will have to be overlaid by new articles off the tapes; they will of
course be somewhere on the tape as well, so they will not get lost.

While readnews does not cut down on the interactive finger-flicking the
way rn, nn, anon [sic] do, I considered it useful enough to install here
even though C News is doing my transport, and at the moment providing me
endless entertainment.

--
Laird Heal	laird@slum.MV.COM	The world is my office.
(Salem, NH)	+1 603 898 1406	<-----I charge for opinions, though.

I have done this on a very crude and "by group" basis. The secret is the
%i or %p. Find all the articles unread, and use !echo to either output
the message id (for ihave) or the path (for batch). Either way you can
then get a feed which will get home before you do.

Ex:

  /./!echo "%i" >> ~/ihave.dmy

And:

  /usr/lib/news/inews -c 'ihave WORKSITE' -n to.HOMESITE < ihave.dmy

I have a bunch of scripts to do things like feed groups out of junk, and
do dummy ihave for a once-only feed of the last few days stuff.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.