[news.software.b] Sys File Strangeness

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (09/27/90)

	Can anyone tell me why this line which used to work fine, no
longer works...

someone:alt.fan,alt.fandom,alt.folklore,alt.gambling,alt.security,\
        alt.sex/all,!local::/usr/ucb/mail someone@somehost

	The log file shows lines like:

Sep 26 20:43:13.161 uunet + <2299@opus.cs.mcgill.ca> alt/folklore/computers/5445
decwrl.dec.com someone

	but no mail is ever sent.  This probably broke with patches
1-Sep-1990 and 7-Sep-1990 but I'm not sure...

->Spike (Spike@World.STD.com)
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

In article <SPIKE.90Sep27120156@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) writes:

>	Can anyone tell me why this line which used to work fine, no
>longer works...
>
>someone:alt.fan,alt.fandom,alt.folklore,alt.gambling,alt.security,\
>        alt.sex/all,!local::/usr/ucb/mail someone@somehost

 Are you by any chance using nntplink, and if so, did you apply the
PATCH.RELAYNEWS patches?  If so, that would explain your problem.

 I sent a report on this to the nntplink email address.  I am not on the
mailing list so I don't know if it was distributed.  (In any case I decided
not to use nntplink).
  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

In article <SPIKE.90Sep27120156@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) writes:
>someone:alt.fan,alt.fandom,alt.folklore,alt.gambling,alt.security,\
>        alt.sex/all,!local::/usr/ucb/mail someone@somehost
>
>	The log file shows lines like:
>
>Sep 26 20:43:13.161 uunet + <2299@opus.cs.mcgill.ca> alt/folklore/computers/5445
>decwrl.dec.com someone

Something very odd is going on here; the article pathname should not be
appearing in the log file!  We've got some mail lines in our sys file,
though, and are not seeing any trouble.  I am not sure what's going on.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (09/28/90)

> Are you by any chance using nntplink, and if so, did you apply the
<PATCH.RELAYNEWS patches?  If so, that would explain your problem.

	Bingo!  I'm not using the flags in add, I think I'll undo the
patch...

->Spike
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (09/28/90)

> Are you by any chance using nntplink, and if so, did you apply the
<PATCH.RELAYNEWS patches?  If so, that would explain your problem.

	Bingo!  I'm not using the flags the patch added, I think I'll
undo it...

->Spike
--

I wrote:
>>	The log file shows lines like:
>>
>>Sep 26 20:43:13.161 uunet + <2299@opus.cs.mcgill.ca> alt/folklore/computers/5445
>>decwrl.dec.com someone
>
>Something very odd is going on here; the article pathname should not be
>appearing in the log file! ...

Question:  are you sure you've got C News as we distribute it?  There is
rumored to be at least one botched mutant that puts the pathname in there.
We cannot be responsible for things we did not write.  (And if it's not
plainly marked as mutated, whoever did it is in violation of our copyright
and has no business redistributing our software.)
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <SPIKE.90Sep27120156@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) writes:

>	Can anyone tell me why this line which used to work fine, no
>longer works...
>
>someone:alt.fan,alt.fandom,alt.folklore,alt.gambling,alt.security,\
>        alt.sex/all,!local::/usr/ucb/mail someone@somehost

  To this, I replied:

> Are you by any chance using nntplink, and if so, did you apply the
>PATCH.RELAYNEWS patches?  If so, that would explain your problem.

 Spike replied:

>	Bingo!  I'm not using the flags in add, I think I'll undo the
>patch...

 Since then some comments by henry@zoo.toronto.edu denying responsibility.

 Let's put this matter completely to rest.

 The nntplink sources contain a file PATCH.RELAYNEWS.  There purpose is to
introduce a new option into the sys file, and when this is used to change
the format of log file entries so that nntplink can read the log file to
determine which articles to transmit.  Unfortunately there was a bug in
those patches which interfered with gatewaying a news group to a mailing list.

 I reported this bug by email on Sept 5th, and received acknowledgment of its
receipt about a week or so later.  I don't know whether the nntplink mailing
list ever reported this, as I am not on that list (I decided against using
nntplink for unrelated reasons).  I have not seen the bug reported in this
news group.  I am therefore attaching a copy of my original bug report.

   <1990Sep27.171833.16488@mp.cs.niu.edu> <SPIKE.90Sep27191913@world.std.com>
   <SPIKE.90Sep27192025@world.std.com> <1990Sep27.223150.7773@zoo.toronto.edu>
   <1990Sep28.031824.14060@zoo.toronto.edu>