[news.software.b] Cnews batchlog ???

tom@hobbes.Viewlogic.COM (Thomas Yen) (10/03/90)

Hi News Guru,
	I run Cnews (patch May 90 ) on Sun3/60 running 4.0.3 OS.
	NNTP.1.5.9.

	The bactch.log show :
Tue Oct  2 15:35:02 EDT 1990
samsung.com     backlog 24692 (disk too full for batching)
m2c.m2c.org     backlog 24682 (disk too full for batching)
Tue Oct  2 15:35:18 EDT 1990

Tue Oct  2 16:35:02 EDT 1990
samsung.com     backlog 24781 (disk too full for batching)
m2c.m2c.org     backlog 24771 (disk too full for batching)
Tue Oct  2 16:35:18 EDT 1990

	What is this means ?

	Also I noticed the active file keep changing and once a while
	a new newsgroup added. Is this a big security hole or feature ?

--
|Thomas Yen		| {Internet}	tom@viewlogic.com		 |
|Systems Manager 	| {UUCP}	...!samsung!cg-atla!viewlog!tom  |

In article <1990Oct2.173839@hobbes.Viewlogic.COM> tom@hobbes.Viewlogic.COM (Thomas Yen) writes:
>samsung.com     backlog 24781 (disk too full for batching)
>m2c.m2c.org     backlog 24771 (disk too full for batching)
>
>	What is this means ?

It means you've got very large backlogs of news waiting to be sent to
those sites, because "spacefor" thinks your disk is too full for it to
be safe to prepare batches for them.  You need to either free up some
space or reduce the thresholds in spacefor.

>	Also I noticed the active file keep changing and once a while
>	a new newsgroup added. Is this a big security hole or feature ?

This is normal.  It sounds like you're not very familiar with the way
news works; we recommend the Nutshell Handbook:

	"Managing UUCP and Usenet", by Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino,
	O'Reilly & Associates, 1989, ISBN 0-937175-48-X.  This latest
	edition covers C News as well as B News.  It's not perfect but
	it's lots better than nothing.  Inquiries to nuts@ora.com or
	uunet!ora!nuts.

--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry