[news.software.b] strange news failures

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/05/90)

	I'm running C-news (14-Sep-1989) and NNTP 1.5.7 on a Vax-11/750
running MtXinu 4.3 BSD/NFS.  A few days ago, our news system started dying
for no apparant reason.  Each time it dies, I get a piece of mail sent to
usenet saying:

	thishost relaynews `bad/654904574' failed, status 138

(of course the file name was different, but it was always status 138).  A
dead /usr/lib/news/LOCK file would be left around, constipating everything
until I rememoved it.  This is no direct evidence that we are running out
of any critical system resource; I've got tons of free blocks and inodes on
my spool file system and I don't see any messages logged anywhere about
process, inode, file, etc, tables being full, so I'm at a loss to figure
out what's going on.

	Any body have any ideas?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

In article <1990Oct4.172434.2721@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>	thishost relaynews `bad/654904574' failed, status 138
>
>(of course the file name was different, but it was always status 138).  A
>dead /usr/lib/news/LOCK file would be left around, constipating everything
>until I rememoved it...

The fact that the lock is being left around means that relaynews is going
down in flames, as opposed to terminating deliberately because it didn't
like something you did.  I would look for *some* sort of resource shortage
as the cause.  (Do you have disk quotas, by any chance?)
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry