[news.software.b] C news and 14-char filenames

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct6.033520.10133@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Not that we know of.  A lot of our early development was done on systems
> with the 14-char limit.  One or two long-name-isms crept in when we were
> doing our configuration stuff, but I *think* we've got those all cleaned
> out now.

There are two possible problems here, which would be especially
evident if someone were trying to install a patch to an older version,
on something like SCO UNIX.

One problem is that SCO UNIX will not match a pathname where more than
14 chars are specified.  I.e. if you have a file named
"filibustering-", but a shell script or other programme refers to it as
"filibustering-liberal", the file will not be found.  For some reason
the IEEE 1003.1 spec. allows both this, and traditional behavior, and
of course the FIPS 151(?) standard specified this behavior.  At least
that's what I remember from a previous discusion.  Anyway, even
patching a version of C News with a few of the "long-name-isms" would
not be exactly easy in this case.

The other probelm, compounded by the previous one, occurs when one
uses some fancy tool like SCCS or RCS (which desire to tack a couple
of extra characters onto filenames) to track local mods to the code.

(Of course such tools are also seriously hampered by the current build
process and the use of subst.)
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA