But when you read it, the "Sender:" line will say
	Sender: pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg)

I can't find anything on my machine that has "mccc.uucp" in it, but
obviously I'm not looking in the right place(s).  Can anyone tell me
where to look?

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

In article <1990Sep27.211815.16843@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>This message was posted with Pnews.  As I look at the screen, I see that
>the "From:" line has my domain address and the "Sender:" line is empty.
>But when you read it, the "Sender:" line will say
>	Sender: pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg)
>
>I can't find anything on my machine that has "mccc.uucp" in it, but
>obviously I'm not looking in the right place(s).  Can anyone tell me
>where to look?

It's a combination of things inside inews.  An empty header line is, in
general, a violation of RFC1036; it may or may not be legal mail, but it
is not legal news.  So inews is filling it in for you.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep29.221734.4086@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
=In article <1990Sep27.211815.16843@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>This message was posted with Pnews.  As I look at the screen, I see that
=>the "From:" line has my domain address and the "Sender:" line is empty.
=>But when you read it, the "Sender:" line will say
=>	Sender: pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg)
=>
=
=It's a combination of things inside inews.  An empty header line is, in
=general, a violation of RFC1036; it may or may not be legal mail, but it
=is not legal news.  So inews is filling it in for you.

So part of the problem is the Cnews' Pnews not filling in the "Sender:"
line and the other is the Cnews inews assuming we're ".uucp."  Now, as I
don't see other people with this problem, they must have modified Pnews
and inews???  Or did you fix it in a patch that I have yet to apply?

Pete
--

In article <1990Sep30.230320.970@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>=>But when you read it, the "Sender:" line will say
>=>	Sender: pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg)
>=
>=It's a combination of things inside inews.  An empty header line is, in
>=general, a violation of RFC1036; it may or may not be legal mail, but it
>=is not legal news.  So inews is filling it in for you.
>
>So part of the problem is the Cnews' Pnews not filling in the "Sender:"
>line and the other is the Cnews inews assuming we're ".uucp."  Now, as I
>don't see other people with this problem, they must have modified Pnews
>and inews???  Or did you fix it in a patch that I have yet to apply?

Pnews is part of rn (I think), and does not come with C News.  If it is
feeding empty header lines into inews, that is a bug.  I would hope that
people experiencing this have fixed Pnews.
--

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.151249.16328@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
=In article <1990Sep30.230320.970@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>So part of the problem is the Cnews' Pnews not filling in the "Sender:"
=>line and the other is the Cnews inews assuming we're ".uucp."  Now, as I
=>don't see other people with this problem, they must have modified Pnews
=>and inews???  Or did you fix it in a patch that I have yet to apply?
=
=Pnews is part of rn (I think), and does not come with C News.  If it is
=feeding empty header lines into inews, that is a bug.  I would hope that
=people experiencing this have fixed Pnews.

Oops!  Sorry.  Well, Pnews ain't fixed yet.  Buy why aren't others
having the same problem.  Must be something I'm doing during Configure???

Pete

--

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct2.185123.8683@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <1990Oct1.151249.16328@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>=Pnews is part of rn (I think), and does not come with C News.  If it is
>=feeding empty header lines into inews, that is a bug.  I would hope that
>=people experiencing this have fixed Pnews.
>
>Oops!  Sorry.  Well, Pnews ain't fixed yet.  Buy why aren't others
>having the same problem.  Must be something I'm doing during Configure???

Apparently nobody cared about empty news header lines until C News came
along, so Pnews was never fixed.  Another testimony to the joys of
reinvention!  Anyway, I have the following in my Pnews:

	. . .
	if $grep -v '^[A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*: *$' $tmpart | $inews -h ; then
	. . .

This strips the offending headers.  Something like this should go into
the next releases of 'rn' and B News, since we musn't ask C News to be
more tolerant of the messy ol' real world.

--
There's nothing wrong with Southern California that a   ~~ Tom Neff
rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure. - Ross MacDonald ~~ tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

In article <15940@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>This strips the offending headers.  Something like this should go into
>the next releases of 'rn' and B News, since we musn't ask C News to be
>more tolerant of the messy ol' real world.

We're happy to be more tolerant of the real world when circumstances so
indicate.  Unfortunately, in this case it's not so clear.  I find no
statement in RFCs 822 and 1036 that an empty header is synonymous with
a missing header, and no statement in B2.11 inews(8) that empty headers
are deleted, so it is not clear to me that deleting empty headers is
either desirable or correct.

For headers that RFC1036 demands be non-empty, it would probably be a
good idea for inews to reject empty headers as an error.  With luck,
this will be attended to in the inews rewrite now underway.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry