[news.software.b] local checkgroups escapes

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (10/10/90)

Latest C News, Xenix/386 2.3.2.

I make up my own checkgroups control message by combining spaf's normal,
spaf's alt, and my list of locals.  I clean up the header at the top making
sure Distribution: is local.  I run it into inews -h.

A net.neighbor gets the purportedly local checkgroups message (in fact, a
bunch of them as I was hacking it a bit to get the local list 'just right').
'local' is not in net.neighbor's line in my sys file, although 'all' is.

Is the 'all' the cause of the leak?  If not, what is?

--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf}!m2xenix!news

In article <1990Oct10.142157.6445@m2xenix.psg.com> news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:
>I make up my own checkgroups control message by combining spaf's normal,
>spaf's alt, and my list of locals.  I clean up the header at the top making
>sure Distribution: is local.  I run it into inews -h.

As we have pointed out before, "local" is not a magic word to C News.
If you don't want "local" sent to your neighbors, the distribution subfield
of the entries in your sys file must say (e.g.) "all,!local", not just "all".
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <1990Oct10.142157.6445@m2xenix.psg.com> news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:

| Is the 'all' the cause of the leak?  If not, what is?

  All and the lack of !local are the problem. All your feeds should have
!local in them.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.