[news.software.b] What is the best way to read news in a network.

 I have C news running, but want to make it accessible to other hosts on our
local network.  We can share files with NFS.  However the hosts are not
binary compatible, so separate news software will be needed on the other
hosts.

 These seem to be the possibilities:

	1.  Install C-news and a news reader on other hosts.  Have them
	    mount my news spool and control directories.  (These will
	    already be remote mounted for other reasons).  Use the C-news
	    ability to use identify a server host.

	2.  Install an nntp client newsreader such as rrn.

	3.  Use a hybrid system.  Install a news reader and those parts
	    needed to read news, using the NFS mounted directories.  But
	    use the 'inews' that comes with 'nntp', so that the posting
	    from the other nodes is done with nntp.

  I would appreciate any advice, or suggestions for other options.
  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

In article <1990Sep27.212347.15099@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>... We can share files with NFS.  However the hosts are not
>binary compatible, so separate news software will be needed on the other
>hosts.

Note that if any of the software in question wants to read the history
database, you'll want to at least use the C News dbz, which works even
if the machine that built the database and the one reading it have
different byte orders.  Neither dbm nor old dbz has this property.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Sep27.212347.15099@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> I have C news running, but want to make it accessible to other hosts on our
>local network.  We can share files with NFS.  However the hosts are not
>binary compatible, so separate news software will be needed on the other
>hosts.

If you are not too worried about performance on the server, then just
install CNews on the server, NFS mount the /usr/lib/news and
/usr/spool/news directories (symbolic links come in handy here), and
then install separate newsreader on each client (e.g. rn).  To post news
articles, just have the appropriate postnews script (e.g. Pnews) execute
a "rsh <server> inews" instead of just "inews".

This also has the side effect that all articles appear as if they are posted
from the server, which is what you want the outside world to see anyways.
--
Godfrey Lee
cognos!alzabo!tigris!glee

In article <1990Oct6.040718.4302@tigris.uucp> glee@tigris.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>... just have the appropriate postnews script (e.g. Pnews) execute
>a "rsh <server> inews" instead of just "inews".

Actually, inews will do the rsh for you if configuration details are right.
--

glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct9.151429.3837@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Actually, inews will do the rsh for you if configuration details are right.

Just for clarification, /bin/inews in Cnews is a shell script.  I was thinking
of Bnews where /bin/inews is a C program, and the original poster
wanted to avoid compiling separate programs for each client in a heterogeneous
hardware platform environment.
--
Godfrey Lee
cognos!alzabo!tigris!glee