[news.software.b] trn refuses to use threads

aryeh@cash.uucp (the over worked C something or another) (09/30/90)

I can run mthreads but when I hit '+' I get the same thing as '='.  It seems to
be doing something it is since it does go much slower then '='.  Does any have
any ideas on the problem.
Subject: trn refuses to thread
--
Aryeh Friedman 				aryeh@cash.ucsc.edu or
"ain't bug hunts the funnest"		tsource@watnxt2.ucr.edu

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (09/30/90)

In article <7340@darkstar.ucsc.edu> aryeh@cash.uucp (the over worked C something or another) writes:
>I can run mthreads but when I hit '+' I get the same thing as '='.  It seems to
>be doing something it is since it does go much slower then '='.  Does any have
>any ideas on the problem.

Are you using the -X -x options?  (one of them does it, or maybe it's
both together)

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (10/07/90)

In article <7340@darkstar.ucsc.edu> aryeh@cash.uucp (the over worked C something or another) writes:
>I can run mthreads but when I hit '+' I get the same thing as '='.  It seems to
>be doing something it is since it does go much slower then '='.  Does any have
>any ideas on the problem.
>--
>Aryeh Friedman 				aryeh@cash.ucsc.edu or

  I had/have problems with this when the group name + db extension is
  longer than 14 chars.   I also had some problems with permissions
  on the thread files because some of my first tests with mthreads
  were run while I was su'ed to root.  Check your thread
  files and make sure that they are owned by news and are publicly
  readable.

  The extension 'problem' can be reduced if you change the suffix
  to something smaller.  I'm now using a suffix of '.'  :-)

  I'm curious about the db naming method that nn uses?  Does nn
  even suffer from this problem?

  Try reading the mthreads man page for the error conditions that
  mthreads reports.  Also, remember to run mthreads with the -e option
  after news is expired.  If you don't then trn can exibit some strange
  behavior after a couple of months.

 +--------
 |  Bill England
 |  wengland@stephsf.COM

  * *      H -> He +24Mev
 * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *
  * *

davison@dri.com (Wayne Davison) (10/14/90)

Bill England (wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com) wrote:
>   The extension 'problem' can be reduced if you change the suffix
>   to something smaller.  I'm now using a suffix of '.'  :-)

Another solution (that I plan to add sometime in the future) is to capitalize
the thread file name to differentiate it from a conflicting directory name.

>   I'm curious about the db naming method that nn uses?  Does nn
>   even suffer from this problem?

No, nn numbers its groups, and thus must keep a database of groups names
in the proper order.  I didn't want to keep the newsgroups in any particular
order (other than the active file order), so I'm trying to avoid using nn's
solution to the problem.
--
 \  /| / /|\/ /| /(_)     Wayne Davison
(_)/ |/ /\|/ / |/  \      davison@dri.com