[news.software.b] weird exit status in newsrun

For the folks who've been getting bizarre exit-status values, like 1005,
from newsrun... there are some indications that this may be an obscure
shell problem arising from using a pipeline in an if condition.  You
might want to try deleting the following lines from newsrun:

		elif c7decode <$f 2>/dev/null | compress -d >$text 2>/dev/null
		then
			: okay

This code gets used only for the 0.0001% of sites that use c7encoded
transmission.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <1990Oct12.202800.19609@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>For the folks who've been getting bizarre exit-status values, like 1005,
>from newsrun... there are some indications that this may be an obscure
>shell problem arising from using a pipeline in an if condition.  You
>might want to try deleting the following lines from newsrun:
>
>		elif c7decode <$f 2>/dev/null | compress -d >$text 2>/dev/null
>		then
>			: okay

I am now fairly sure that this diagnosis is correct -- although it's hard
to be absolutely certain since none of our systems appear to exhibit the
problem -- and a note along these lines will appear in notebook/problems
in the next patch.  The underlying cause looks like a bug in shell handling
of exit status:  I think the shell is waiting for only one of the two
processes in the pipeline, and is picking up a failure status from the
other when it waits for relaynews to terminate.

(I'm still not sure where a bizarre number like 1005 comes from, but the
insides of both c7decode and compress are bizarre enough to explain
almost anything... :-))

The type-tagging scheme that is in the works for more efficient input
handling should eliminate the problem.