our return paths look like this with Cnews (latest version):

From: ronc@wdl30.wdl.fac.com (Ron Coll)

We do no get good responces from people because
the return path should be:

Can anyone tell me what we have misconfigured that would make the
path drop our domainname for other hosts. We use nntp to other
hosts but I would be the return path for this looks like:

Thanks,

Bill Lewandowski
wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com
--
Bill Lewandowski		Ford Aerospace Corp. - San Jose
FORDNET II 473-4362		Internet: wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com

In article <1990Oct3.145435.19729@wdl1.wdl.fac.com> wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) writes:
>our return paths look like this with Cnews (latest version):

>From: ronc@wdl30.wdl.fac.com (Ron Coll)

As "build" explains in some detail, there are two separate names involved.
Whoever installed your news system has told it that your system's news
name is "wdl30".  Changing /usr/lib/news/whoami will cure this, in
principle... but beware that your neighbors' sys files know your news
name, and you should coordinate the change with them.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wrl@wdl51.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) (10/04/90)

Thanks Henry.
We are all new to cnews and NNTP si I guess I'll have to check all the
other machines we have news on.

Bill

--

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct3.145435.19729@wdl1.wdl.fac.com> wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) writes:
>Hi,
>Have a question on path,
>our return paths look like this with Cnews (latest version):

>From: ronc@wdl30.wdl.fac.com (Ron Coll)
>
>We do no get good responces from people because
>the return path should be:

If you are posting from the other hosts using the mini-inews supplied
with nntp and gethostbyname() does not return a fully qualified domain
name for the current host (as on Suns using YP/NIS), then the mini-inews
will append the configured value of DOMAIN to the From: header, but not
the Path: (and Originator: in 1.5.10) header.  A simple-minded patch (for
1.5.10) follows.

-----------------------------Cut Here---------------------------------
*** ORIGinews.c	Fri Aug 10 23:53:40 1990
--- inews.c	Wed Sep 19 01:43:15 1990
***************
*** 164,170 ****
--- 164,179 ----
  				if (!seen_fromline)
  					gen_frompath(FROM);
  				else
+ #ifdef DOMAIN
+ 				{
+ 					if (index( host_name, '.'))
  fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Originator: %s@%s\r\n", passwd->pw_name, host_name);
+ 					else
+ fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Originator: %s@%s.%s\r\n", passwd->pw_name, host_name, DOMAIN);
+ 				}
+ #else /* DOMAIN */
+ fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Originator: %s@%s\r\n", passwd->pw_name, host_name);
+ #endif /* DOMAIN */
  			} else {
  			        continue;
  			}
***************
*** 350,357 ****
--- 359,375 ----
  	/* Only the login name - nntp server will add uucp name */
  		fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Path: %s\r\n", passwd->pw_name);
  #else /* HIDDENNET */
+ #ifdef DOMAIN
+ 		if (index(host_name, '.'))
+ 			fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Path: %s!%s\r\n", host_name,
+ 				passwd->pw_name);
+ 		else
+ 			fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Path: %s.%s!%s\r\n", host_name,
+ 				DOMAIN, passwd->pw_name);
+ #else /* DOMAIN */
  		fprintf(ser_wr_fp, "Path: %s!%s\r\n", host_name,
  			passwd->pw_name);
+ #endif /* DOMAIN */
  #endif /* HIDDENNET */
  	}