From to.quagga Thu Oct 18 20:42:54 1990
Newsgroups: to.quagga
From: news@quagga
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 09:46:09 GMT
Sender: @quagga.uucp
>>>>>>>> missing user name <<<<<<<<<<<<
From news Thu Oct 18 11:45:56 1990
Sender: news (Rhodes News Administration)
Subject: test1
To: to.quagga@quagga
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 11:44:28 sat
From: Rhodes News Administration <news@quagga.uucp>

test1

The major problems are highlighted with >>>>>>> <<<<<<<<.  Note that
'inews' is the standard cnews version, and the hassle seems to be
that the 'anne.jones' shell script can't work out the user name of
the process running the script.  Does 'anne.jones' assume that inews
will only ever be run interactively by a real live user?

Secondary problems are the multitude of From:, Sender: and other
headers.  While not directly related to cnews, this seems an appropriate
place to ask if there is a neat way of eliminating them.  Does it require
some front end to inews that performs a sed to zap them, or is there
a neat combination of parameters/utilities somewhere that will clean
things up?
--
 F.F. Jacot Guillarmod - Computing Centre - Rhodes University - Grahamstown
 Internet: ccfj.quagga@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org  uucp: ..!m2xenix!quagga!ccfj

In article <1990Oct18.191538.11392@quagga.uucp> ccfj@quagga.uucp (F.F. Jacot Guillarmod) writes:
>'inews' is the standard cnews version, and the hassle seems to be
>that the 'anne.jones' shell script can't work out the user name of
>the process running the script.  Does 'anne.jones' assume that inews
>will only ever be run interactively by a real live user?

No, but it is *immensely* difficult to determine the user name in a
reliable and portable way.  Evidently your system is odd enough that
all anne.jones's attempts are failing.

>Secondary problems are the multitude of From:, Sender: and other
>headers...

Part of this may be because just piping mail into inews is *not* generally
workable, because the "From " line that most mailers put at the top is
not a valid news header.  At the very least, you need to strip that off.

You should probably look at the mail-to-news gatewaying stuff we ship
in the "contrib" directory.  It is not as simple as it looks.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry