[news.software.b] aliasing and moderated groups

tombre@crin.fr (Karl Tombre) (10/23/90)

I recently got a problem, with the great gnu.* renaming :

Here is one line from my /usr/lib/news/aliases file :

gnu.emacs               gnu.emacs.announce

and here the entry for gnu.emacs.announce in the active file :

gnu.emacs.announce 0000007 0000001 m

(as you see -- and probably know --- gnu.emacs.announce is moderated)

Now, what happens when one article is posted to gnu.emacs ??? :

Excerpts from the log file (I removed time stamps etc. to keep ~~ 80
columns) :

<JBW.90Oct13000237@bucsf.bu.edu>^IAliased newsgroup gnu.emacs to gnu.emacs.announce
/usr/bin/rnews: gnu.emacs.announce is moderated and may not be posted to directly.
/usr/bin/rnews: Your article is being mailed to the moderator who will post it for you.

and so on for other articles (also with gnu.g++.announce for instance).

What happens ? Is this a bug of the software (I run version B 2.11.19,
which should be the latest version of Bnews, isn't it ?) ??? Or is it
a setup problem on our side ?

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

--
Karl Tombre - INRIA Lorraine / CRIN
EMAIL : tombre@loria.crin.fr - POST : BP 239, 54506 VANDOEUVRE CEDEX, France

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (10/23/90)

In article <TOMBRE.90Oct23103110@weissenburger.crin.fr> tombre@crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:
>I recently got a problem, with the great gnu.* renaming :

[ When a group is moderated, and an remote article is
  not aproved, rnews mails it to the moderator ]

>What happens ? Is this a bug of the software (I run version B 2.11.19,
>which should be the latest version of Bnews, isn't it ?) ??? Or is it
>a setup problem on our side ?

Instead of doing the sensible thing of droping an unaproved article of
a moderated grop on the floor, bnews mails it off to the moderator.
But an article should only mailed if it was posted locally.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	UniFax Communications Inc.
		...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc, jtc@wimsey.bc.ca

Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) (10/24/90)

In article <TOMBRE.90Oct23103110@weissenburger.crin.fr> tombre@crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:
>Here is one line from my /usr/lib/news/aliases file :
>
>gnu.emacs               gnu.emacs.announce

Your problems will go away if you change it to:

gnu.emacs		gnu.emacs.help

For the record, here are the other trouble-free gnu.* aliases I use:

gnu.config		gnu.gnusenet.config
gnu.g++			gnu.g++.help
gnu.gcc			gnu.gcc.help
gnu.test		gnu.gnusenet.test

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: All opinions are strictly those of the author.
    Domain: Makey@Logicon.COM    UUCP: {ucsd,nosc}!snoopy!Makey