[news.software.b] Multi-Filesystem News Spool

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (10/23/90)

Well, its finally happened.  My 150meg news partition is full and I'm
expiring news after only about a week of news...which isn't long
enough.

Unfortunately, it may be a long time before a new disk to create a
larger news partition.  In the interim I would like to divy my news
out among other filesystems and sym,bolic link them into the normal
spool directory.

Unfortunately, Bnews 2.11.19 (nearly the latest version yes?) assumes
that the news is stored in the same filesystem and makes hard links
for cross posted articles and such.  Looking at the source to inews.c
indicates that simply using symlinks instead of links is not
sufficient.

Before I put much time into this, has anyone already done these
modifications?  Is there an option in the localize.sh that I'm
missing?

I'm running on a Sun 4/490 with SunOS 4.1 getting news via nntp
1.5.10.  Any diffs or pointers would be humbly appreciated.

Regards,
FWP

Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) (10/26/90)

In article <FWP1.90Oct22223219@tzu.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:
>Unfortunately, it may be a long time before a new disk to create a
>larger news partition.  In the interim I would like to divy my news
>out among other filesystems and sym,bolic link them into the normal
>spool directory.
>
>Unfortunately, Bnews 2.11.19 (nearly the latest version yes?) assumes
>that the news is stored in the same filesystem and makes hard links
>for cross posted articles and such.  Looking at the source to inews.c
>indicates that simply using symlinks instead of links is not
>sufficient.
>
>Before I put much time into this, has anyone already done these
>modifications?  Is there an option in the localize.sh that I'm
>missing?

>Regards,
>FWP
>
>--
>--
>Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
>               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

It's not *exactly* what you want, but it'd a starting point.  A few months
ago I posted diffs to Bnews 2.11.19 so that it use multiple filesystems.
The code only handles two filesystems but could be generalized.  Basically
the idea is:  if you get an error from the hard link, do a copy.  It'll
make only one copy per filesystem and then generate additional hard links
if needed.

Email me for the patch, or if I get a flood of postings, I'll repost.

-- Mark

Mark W. Snitily                 Consulting Services:
894 Brookgrove Lane             Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers
Cupertino, CA 95014             (408) 252-0456
mark@zok.uucp                   West Coast UUCP X11 archive site

If your mailer doesn't like the .uucp domain, these also work:
...!{mips,sgi}!zok!mark, mark%zok@mips.com, mark%zok@sgi.com

jthomp@hosaka.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (10/30/90)

In article <495@zok.UUCP> mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) writes:

>It's not *exactly* what you want, but it'd a starting point.  A few months
>ago I posted diffs to Bnews 2.11.19 so that it use multiple filesystems.
>The code only handles two filesystems but could be generalized.  Basically
>the idea is:  if you get an error from the hard link, do a copy.  It'll
>make only one copy per filesystem and then generate additional hard links
>if needed.

Hmm, I did something slighly different than this, but it requires
symbolic-links.  Basicly you *always* copy the first occurance of an
article that was cross-posted.  You then create symbolic links to *that*
article for the rest of its 'appearances'.

This handles as many filesystems as you'ld like to put 'underneath' the
spool, at the expense of an article becomming completely unreadable if you
happen to unlink() or otherwise loose the 'first' copy.

All the changes are confined to inews.c.

--
Jim Thompson - Network Engineering - Sun Microsystems -	jthomp@central.sun.com
Charter Member - Fatalistic International Society for Hedonistic Youth (FISHY)