[news.software.b] Follow-up problem with Bnews

eric@abode.UUCP (Eric C. Bennett) (10/30/90)

Sometimes when I post Follow-ups to articles under Bnews I get this message:

Send, abort, edit, or list? s
inews: Article rejected: eric included more text that new text
Article appended to /usr/home/eric/dead.article
A copy may be temporarilt found in /usr/home/eric/.article

What I believe this means (from what it says) is that I must delete part of
a message to make room for a follow-up post to it. In other words, the
follow-post can not be longer than the original. If this is correct, why? And
what can I do to change it?

Eric
--
     Eric C. Bennett     uucp: {elroy|cit-vax}!wciu!abode!eric
     El Monte, Ca    Internet: eric@abode.wciu.edu

If you can read this you aren't looking through the hubble space telescope!

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (10/31/90)

In article <136@abode.UUCP> eric@abode.wciu.edu (Eric C. Bennett) writes:

>Sometimes when I post Follow-ups to articles under Bnews I get this message:
>inews: Article rejected: eric included more text that new text
>
>What I believe this means (from what it says) is that I must delete part of
>a message to make room for a follow-up post to it. In other words, the

What it means is that inews is trying to keep you from re-posting a
complete message, with just a couple of lines of text as followup...  Trim
the quoted article down to just the absolute essentials to maintain context,
add your succinct comments to the end...  I think the requirement is
that included text has to be less than 50% of the article size.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to send a copy of a whole article along
with a couple of lines of commentary, when it's relatively easy to use
the References header to retrieve the original article... (I realize
that there are some problems with ordering of the articles, but by and
large it works).

jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto) (10/31/90)

eric@abode.UUCP (Eric C. Bennett) writes:
>inews: Article rejected: eric included more text that new text
>Article appended to /usr/home/eric/dead.article
>A copy may be temporarilt found in /usr/home/eric/.article

  Eric, the trouble here is easy, you are sending an article with
more included text from the original article than your answer text.
  This is a convention of the news articles, you can't do that.
  Now, wath can you do? Just tell the program (sendnews) not to
include the original text or write more new text that old one.

--
*****   Greetings from Mexico!   *****
Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto                   Internet: