[news.software.b] cnews latest?

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/29/90)

mike@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.COM (Mike Marciniszyn) writes:

>Up to Patchlevel 19 is available in the osu archives.

is there a quick way to tell what patch level of cnews I am running
(I picked up the release I am running via ftp from U of Toronto) --

what is the current patch level?

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Oct28.195619.4252@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>Up to Patchlevel 19 is available in the osu archives.
>
>is there a quick way to tell what patch level of cnews I am running

The PATCHDATES file in your source tree tells you what patches it has.
The latest patch is 7-Sep-1990.

C News as distributed has no notion of "patch level"; you will have to
ask the OSU people what they mean by that.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/01/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>The latest patch is 7-Sep-1990.

Ok - I installed the latest cnews - and the make bombs on the ranlib
error, but restarting the make completes it -

the resulting readnews dumps core - likewise postnews - but everything
else works (or appears) to run just fine --

OS is SYSV rel 3.2 386 UNIX (Interactive release 2.02 - the latest)

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov01.121822.14902@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Ok - I installed the latest cnews - and the make bombs on the ranlib
>error, but restarting the make completes it -

I don't know how well this applies to you but on my SVR3.2 ESIX Rel D I
ran into a problem with ranlib.  I don't have it, or need it but telling
the C News build program that didn't seem to work.  My solution may seem
a little silly but it works and that is the main thing.  I 'touched' a
file called ranlib and made it executable.  Now ranlib with any arguments
does nothing and returns a successful status.  C News compiled fine after
that.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   I support gun control.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (11/04/90)

In a recent article darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:

:I don't know how well this applies to you but on my SVR3.2 ESIX Rel D I
:ran into a problem with ranlib.  I don't have it, or need it but telling
:the C News build program that didn't seem to work.  My solution may seem
:a little silly but it works and that is the main thing.  I 'touched' a
:file called ranlib and made it executable.  Now ranlib with any arguments
:does nothing and returns a successful status.  C News compiled fine after
:that.

I also had problems with this. It seems like "ranlib" is hardcoded
into some Makefiles. Editing those files using vi (ie, removing the
ranlib'ing) made C news compile as it should. Oh yes, this was on
a Multimax from Encore Computer, running UMAX V.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

In article <1990Nov3.191527.3010@erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>I also had problems with this. It seems like "ranlib" is hardcoded
>into some Makefiles...

Actually, one:  the Makefile for rna/lib.  The Makefile for rna warns
you about this.  The rna stuff (our minimal user interface) needs a good
working-over for better portability and compatibility with our configuration
stuff.  This is documented, although perhaps not as prominently as it really
should be.

There are uses of ranlib in other Makefiles, but those are vestigial code
that is never invoked in a C News build.  Yes, we test this stuff on a
non-ranlib machine.
--

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/04/90)

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:

>file called ranlib and made it executable.  Now ranlib with any arguments
>does nothing and returns a successful status.  C News compiled fine after
>that.

how did the resulting postnews and readnews turn out?

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov04.010412.488@nstar.uucp> Larry Snyder writes:
>darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>>file called ranlib and made it executable.  Now ranlib with any arguments
>>does nothing and returns a successful status.  C News compiled fine after
>>that.
>
>how did the resulting postnews and readnews turn out?

I didn't compile them.  I used rn and Pnews instead but what makes you think
that there would be any effect?  If your development environment is such
that ranlib is unnecessary then creating a null command called ranlib has
absolutely no effect except to satisfy the makefile.  The purpose of ranlib
is to put the object modules in an archive in order such that no module
references another that is earlier to it in the file.  This is necessary
for linkers that make a single pass through the archive.  If a development
system (Such as my SVR3.2 ESIX Rel D and GNU C) has a multiple pass linker
then the only problem is perhaps a small speed hit during the link phase.
If not then you probably have ranlib anyway and so there is no problem
to begin with.