[news.software.b] Problem with latest C-news on DECstation 3100

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (11/06/90)

Ran into an odd problem with C-news when I applied the two latest
patches.  It apparently arose with the first of the two, since I
tried compiling the .orig file, and it gave the same error.
When running doit.bin, when it tries to compile string.c in
libcnews directory:

/bin/cc -O -s -I../include -c string.c
(ccom): string.c, line 136: ccom: Internal: wasted space: 2002067630
      }
      ^
*** Error code 1

Stop.
+ exit 1

The lines in question are:

   123  STATIC
   124  _initishostchar()
   125  {
   126          register        char *p;
   127          register        int c;
   128
   129          if (!setishostchar) {
   130
   131                  setishostchar = YES;
   132                  for (c = 0, p = ishostchar; c < sizeof ishostchar; c++)
   133                          *p++ = isascii(c) && isalnum(c);
   134                  ishostchar['.'] = ishostchar['-'] = YES;
   135          }
-->136  }
   137
   138  /* [next function]

Any clues as to why this might be happening and how to fix it?

	-Mike.

--
	Mike Pelletier - Usenet News Admin & Programmer
"Wind, waves, etc. are breakdowns in the face of the commitment to getting

In article <1990Nov5.233717.10818@engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>Ran into an odd problem with C-news ...
>(ccom): string.c, line 136: ccom: Internal: wasted space: 2002067630

Please see the section titled "Values of Logical Operators" in
notebook/problems.  There is a reason why the top-level README suggests
reading that document.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (11/07/90)

	stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>>Ran into an odd problem with C-news ...
>>(ccom): string.c, line 136: ccom: Internal: wasted space: 2002067630
>
>Please see the section titled "Values of Logical Operators" in
>notebook/problems.  There is a reason why the top-level README suggests
>reading that document.

I've been running C-news here for about a year on the same machine
and I never ran into this problem before, so I thought this update would
be like the rest -- patch, compile, and install.  Thanks for the
reference, though.