[news.software.b] Cannot Stop batching a newsgroup

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (11/08/90)

I am running bnews at the latest patchlevel.  I have a home system (an
amiga if that matters) that I batch a few amiga related newsgroups to
each day.  The problem is that I want to stop sending one of the
newsgroups (comp.sys.amiga.games ) to my home system and edited the
sys file to remove any reference to that group.  Ah that was easy -
but NO the group is still being batched to me each day.  I MUST be
missing something.  Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.  My current
sys file is:

# my office system
syteke:world,comp,\
 news,eunet,bnet,to.syteke::
#
# My backbone news feed
ub4b:world,comp,news,eunet,bnet,to.ub4b::
#
# my home system
belami:world,comp.sys.amiga.hardware,comp.sys.amiga.tech,comp.sys.amiga,\
   comp.sources.amiga,comp.binaries.amiga,comp.sys.att,\
   to.belami:F:/usr/spool/batch/belami

I am sure I have forgotten something very obvious.

--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (11/10/90)

jim@syteke.be writes:
   The problem is that I want to stop sending one of the
   newsgroups (comp.sys.amiga.games ) to my home system and edited the
   sys file to remove any reference to that group.

   belami:world,comp.sys.amiga.hardware,comp.sys.amiga.tech,comp.sys.amiga,\
      comp.sources.amiga,comp.binaries.amiga,comp.sys.att,\
      to.belami:F:/usr/spool/batch/belami

You are working at the problem too hard in the sys file.  A reference
to any given group implies all that group's subgroups, too.  An easier
sys line to do the same thing for you would be

belami:world,comp.sys.amiga,!comp.sys.amiga.games,\
   comp.sources.amiga,comp.binaries.amiga,comp.sys.att,\
   to.belami:F:/usr/spool/batch/belami

and note that to turn off such a subgroup, it must be explicitly
removed with `!'.

--karl

geoff@athena.mit.edu (Geoff Collyer) (11/10/90)

karl kleinpaste:
>An easier sys line to do the same thing for you would be
>
>belami:world,comp.sys.amiga,!comp.sys.amiga.games,\
>   comp.sources.amiga,comp.binaries.amiga,comp.sys.att,\
>   to.belami:F:/usr/spool/batch/belami

Indeed, assuming that one really wants all the amiga groups but
comp.sys.amiga.games, one could abbreviate this further to

belami:world,comp.all.amiga,!comp.sys.amiga.games,comp.sys.att,to.belami\
    :F:/usr/spool/batch/belami

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (11/14/90)

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

>You are working at the problem too hard in the sys file.  A reference
>to any given group implies all that group's subgroups, too.  An easier
>sys line to do the same thing for you would be
[example deleted]
>and note that to turn off such a subgroup, it must be explicitly
>removed with `!'.

So, for instance, if I have a site that wants to receive only "comp.unix",
I would have to have something like:

...comp.unix,!comp.unix.a,!comp.unix.b...	?

Why not:	comp.unix,!comp.unix.all	?

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --