[news.software.b] UUNET "stooping so low" as to use 900 numbers

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (wolf paul) (11/15/90)

In article <111854@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
>In article <506@tygra.ddmi.com>, jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:
>> Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
>> off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
>> uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
>> thats life.
>
>Our 800 number is for customers.  The 900 number (+1 900 GOT SRCS) is
>for anonymous uucp.

And what is wrong with that arrangement? Do you realize that 800
numbers are not FREE, but COLLECT, i.e. UUNET has to pay for every
call made to their 800 numbers? Where do you think that money comes
from?

Why is it "stooping so low" to expect you to pay your own
communications costs, as well as some of the system overhead, through
the use of 900 numbers?

Do you get paid for the work you do between 9 and 5, Monday to Friday?
How? Oh, your company charges for its services? How is that different
from UUNET charging for THEIR services via a 900 number so their
employees get paid?

Get real!

--
Wolf N. Paul, UNIX SysAdmin, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa!wnp