[news.software.b] RN bothering users about groups "not in .newsrc"

jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) (11/14/90)

We are running the version of rn that came with BNEWS 2.11. We got
this stuff pre-compiled from SCO for our Xenix 2.3.2 system.

One annoying problem often occurs after a newgroup message adds a
group to the end of the active file. If the group is later removed
then any user who has not used rn since the add/delete sequence
will be asked about EVERY unsubscribed group. (ie: for each group
that he is not subscribed to, he will be asked if he wants to add
it to his newsrc file).

I know that whats probably happening is that rn checks the modification
date on /usr/lib/news/active and compares that with the user's .newsrc
and if the dates are different, it proceeds to check for new groups.
Why it goes after the unsubscribed groups is a mystery. If new groups
have been added since the user's last session and have NOT been
deleted, then it only prompts the user about those groups.

Does anyone know of a friendlier newsreader that has been ported to
Xenix?? Thanks.

Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
thats life.

Please respond via e-mail and I'll summarize the responses.
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

In article <506@tygra.ddmi.com> jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:

| One annoying problem often occurs after a newgroup message adds a
| group to the end of the active file. If the group is later removed
| then any user who has not used rn since the add/delete sequence
| will be asked about EVERY unsubscribed group. (ie: for each group
| that he is not subscribed to, he will be asked if he wants to add
| it to his newsrc file).

  This is not tue. I'll try to explain why.

  rn does not care if you are *subscribed* to a group, it checks to see
if you *know about* a group. When it askes you about a group addition,
the correct answer is 'y' in all cases. Then, when you reach the group
the first time you type 'u' to unsubscribe. That's what all those colons
and exclamations in the .newsrc file mean, just as it says in the
documentation.

| Does anyone know of a friendlier newsreader that has been ported to
| Xenix?? Thanks.

  I don't know of any which is easier to use unless you read the manuals.

| Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
| off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
| uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
| thats life.

  My impression is that the 800 number is (or was) for subscribers, and
the 900 number for casual users. That's what their documentation seems
to say.
           sed 's/rn is broken/I don't know how to use rn/g'
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (11/15/90)

In article <506@tygra.ddmi.com>, jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:
> Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
> off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
> uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
> thats life.

Our 800 number is for customers.  The 900 number (+1 900 GOT SRCS) is
for anonymous uucp.  Our archives can also be accessed via ftp or by
buying a set of source tapes from us.  For more information, please
contact info@uunet.uu.net or uunet!info.
	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) (11/15/90)

In <2870@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>if you *know about* a group. When it askes you about a group addition,
>the correct answer is 'y' in all cases. Then, when you reach the group

I always thought it was a bit silly to ask you `y' or `n', and if you
answered `n', to ask you again next time.
--
-Gary Mills-         -Networking Group-          -U of M Computer Services-

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/15/90)

In article <506@tygra.ddmi.com>, jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:
> [...] The only way to access their system via anonymous
> uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
> thats life.

	Is this the John Palmer that runs a BBS people pay for ? Maybe I'm
confused, the guy I'm thinking of'd never stoop so low, either.

	What's UUNET running on these days ? It was a couple of Sequents
last I heard. Where do you think they come from, John ? Do they grow on
trees where you live ?

	Frankly, the good people at UUNET deserve a round of applause for
making such a wonderfully complete selection of source available for FTP
and not charging for it - I'd sure hate to pay for all the disks they must
have. We should all stoop as low as UUNET.

mjr.
--
"When choosing between two evils, give preference to the council of your
tummy over that of your testes. The history of mankind is full of disasters

In article <506@tygra.ddmi.com> jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:
>Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
>off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
>uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low...

Uh, what do you mean by "stoop so low"?  UUNET is a business, not a
charity.  If it cost them nothing, they might well continue -- as they
are continuing to provide no-charge FTP -- but 800 numbers cost plenty.
I don't think it's unreasonable for them to restrict free calling by
non-paying customers.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov15.035246.9805@ccu.umanitoba.ca> mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) writes:
>I always thought it was a bit silly to ask you `y' or `n', and if you
>answered `n', to ask you again next time.

I'm pretty sure one of the more recent patches to rn changed this behavior.
If you answer no, it adds the group to your .newsrc, but puts a `!' after
the name instead of `:' so that you are not subscribed.  I'm pretty sure
this was fixed before I switched to trn, which definitely behaves this
way.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/15/90)

In article <506@tygra.ddmi.com> jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:

>Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
>off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
>uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
>thats life.

They are a business. As far as I know from having been a subscriber
at my previous job, they never intended anonymous UUCP availability
via their 800 number. After all, that meant THEY were paying for
your connect time and long distance rates. Why should they? As a
subscriber if I chose to use their 800 number instead of any of
their inroutes where I paid for the long distance, I paid a premium
for it. Entirely appropriate, and my choice.

If you have been using 800 to access UUNET for anonymous UUCP
then I would say they correctly plugged a hole in their access
plan.

As for "I didn't think they'd stoop so low", the announced rate they
are charging for 900 service is not by any means unreasonable or
comparable to rates charged by other 900 services. The rate they announced
covers long distance charges plus a reasonable cents per kilobyte.
You are obtaining data from them. They are a business, do you expect
data from them for free?

>Please respond via e-mail and I'll summarize the responses.

No, I'd rather everyone understood that legitimate business costs can
be recovered via 900 service. 900 service is a legitimate outgrowth
of a service which has been available for many years. When you called
Western Union and sent a telegram and it was billed to your phone, did
you complain? When you called a florist and sent flowers, and it was billed
to your phone, did you complain?

It's being abused by dialaporn and others, but it is not being abused
by UUNET. I have no connection to UUNET or dialaporn.
>--
>=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
>-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -
>=  as a login id.   <PC-PURSUITABLE!!> E-Mail Address: jpp@ddmi.com       =
>-           <<<Redistribution to GEnie PROHIBITED!!!>>>>                  -

Can I dial you via an 800 number and download data?

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

In article <1990Nov15.035246.9805@ccu.umanitoba.ca> mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) writes:

| I always thought it was a bit silly to ask you `y' or `n', and if you
| answered `n', to ask you again next time.

  I did a patch to add 'u' to the options list and add unsubscribed, and
I sent it to the person who posted the last patches, but it never came
out. If I were doing it again (I may) I would change the promp to be
"subscribe?" and always add it. This may grow the .newsrc to the point
where some old reader will melt, however.

In article <1990Nov15.071516.1594@silvlis.com> jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:

| >--
| >=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
| >-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -
| >=  as a login id.   <PC-PURSUITABLE!!> E-Mail Address: jpp@ddmi.com       =
| >-           <<<Redistribution to GEnie PROHIBITED!!!>>>>                  -
|
| Can I dial you via an 800 number and download data?

  Yes, where's the 800 number in that .sig? MCI is having a special on
them right now, they'll hook you up for free, and I promise to call.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (11/16/90)

jpp@tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:

|Oh - by the way - forget getting news patches from UUNET. They've cut
|off their 800 number. The only way to access their system via anonymous
|uucp is to dial a 900 number. I didn't think they'd stoop so low, but
|thats life.

does this mean uunet previously sanctioned toll-free anonymous uucp to
their site and now (or recently) they've turned it off?  that's what
the statement above implies and if it's not correct it would seem you
should apologize for impugning the good name of uunet.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms (Bitnet)
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.