[news.software.b] dbz with heterogeneous architectures

ken@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) (11/17/90)

This may be a naive question, but here goes :-)

The situation:

Our news comes in on UUCP to a VAX-11, as that's where our modems,
serial ports, and available disk space live.  The rest of our work group
is Sun-4's.  C-news is also installed on the Suns, sharing the $NEWSCTL
directory with the VAX; there is a separate $NEWSBIN for the Suns.

Most news users read via NNTP with rrn/nn.

I'd like to offload some of the news processing to a big beefy Sun
with lots of RAM.  I've been poking around the C distribution to
see whether there's a way to have both architectures share the
DBZ history database.  So far, though, I haven't succeeded in
creating one that both can read.

Am I missing something?

As I see it, an alternative is just to move everything that uses the
history database over to the Sun, i.e. let the VAX collect the batches
and the Sun take over from there.
--
     Ken Sallenger / ken@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu / +1 803 777-9334
     Computer Services Division / 1244 Blossom ST / Columbia, SC 29208

In article <1990Nov16.192640.1881@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> ken@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) writes:
>I'd like to offload some of the news processing to a big beefy Sun
>with lots of RAM.  I've been poking around the C distribution to
>see whether there's a way to have both architectures share the
>DBZ history database.  So far, though, I haven't succeeded in
>creating one that both can read.

I'm not sure why that would be happening.  If you are using a current
C News, the dbz database format is byte-order independent by design,
and the regression test checks this.  There should be no problem in
sharing a dbz database across two architectures that agree on the
size of a "long" and the structure of a file offset.

(If your dbz is the old one from contrib, your C News is out of date.)
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry