[news.software.b] Sliding mail around inews

I like to read mailing lists as if they were newsgroups, and I know
I'm not the only one.  But I've got a problem on my machine, which is
that the relaynews that's run from newsrun sometimes goes out to
lunch.  It just sits there and sits there.  Obviously, that's a problem
to be solved.

But until it is solved, inews wants to run relaynews directly, so
sometimes inews is held up forever.  This leads to processes piling
up, and eventually sendmail can't run new processes to process mail.
And this leads to bounced mail, and unhappy mailing list owners.

So, I've modified the contributed 'usenet' script so run 'rnews' instead
of 'inews'.  This makes the rash assumption that the incoming mail is
already properly formed.  In most cases it will be.  After all, since
'usenet' adds the Newsgroups: and Path: header, what's left to be wrong?
It shouldn't modify the 'From:' line because it has no reason to expect
that it knows better than the sender.

Also, along the same lines, I'm tempted to modify 'inews' so that it
doesn't run relaynews immediately, but instead runs 'newsspool' so
that relaynews gets run later.  Since all of our posting is done over
NNTP *anyway*, you don't get the benefit of any error messages that
inews, anne.jones, or relaynews might grant you.

Of course, it would be better to find out why 'relaynews' is hanging,
but I don't have a clue where to start...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

In article <NELSON.90Nov22105755@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:
>So, I've modified the contributed 'usenet' script so run 'rnews' instead
>of 'inews'.  This makes the rash assumption that the incoming mail is
>already properly formed.  In most cases it will be.  After all, since
>'usenet' adds the Newsgroups: and Path: header, what's left to be wrong?

Could be a moderated newsgroup.  Could lack a message-ID.  Several other
possibilities.  Inews checks for a lot of things.  The main consequence
of going via rnews rather than inews is that ill-formed news simply vanishes
into the bit bucket, rather than being reported.

>Also, along the same lines, I'm tempted to modify 'inews' so that it
>doesn't run relaynews immediately, but instead runs 'newsspool' so
>that relaynews gets run later...

The main problem with this is on sites that don't run newsrun during
busy times of the day.  Users tend to get restive if their posting
*seems* to just disappear into the void, even if it really is queued
up to be dealt with eventually.
--
"I'm not sure it's possible            | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
to explain how X works."               |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry