[news.software.b] trn mthreads problem

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/25/90)

Has anyone had a problem with trn's mthreads getting a segment violation
when running with nntp?  It only seems to happen after the active2 file
gets somewhat out of sync with the active file on the server (ie, "cp active1
active2" fixed things for now).
--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/25/90)

In news.software.b, article <38V_5J+@b-tech.uucp>,
  zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
< Has anyone had a problem with trn's mthreads getting a segment violation
< when running with nntp?  It only seems to happen after the active2 file
< gets somewhat out of sync with the active file on the server (ie, "cp active1
< active2" fixed things for now).

I had this problem last week; it was caused by a damaged threads database.
I didn't find the offender and used the brute force rebuild:

cd /l/news/threads; rm -r *; cd /l/news/admin; rm active2; mthreads -a

A more serious problem was that mthreads catches the segmentation violation
and tries to clean up. Which posts another segmentation violation ... ad
infinitum or, because there's an error message in this case, until the
operator on duty notices that a 20 K log file has just eaten 110 MB out of a
disk partition with 100 MB free...

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/27/90)

>A more serious problem was that mthreads catches the segmentation violation
>and tries to clean up. Which posts another segmentation violation ... ad
>infinitum or, because there's an error message in this case, until the
>operator on duty notices that a 20 K log file has just eaten 110 MB out of a
>disk partition with 100 MB free...

I noticed this one too.  Definitely a problem.  Mthreads could also handle
timeouts better (ie, some mechanism where it will terminate if it gets
stuck accessing the nntp server).

I'd be interested if anyone has a patch to make trn detect and fix corrupted
threads files.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us