[news.software.b] Problems with rn 4.3 PL 50 under Ultrix 3.1

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (wolf paul) (11/27/90)

Until recently we were running rn 4.3 (4.3BSD baseline release) on one
of our VAXen running Ultrix 3.1, which worked fine.

Then we obtained the source for NNTP and RN at PL 48, and installed
RRN on all our other machines (Suns and VAXen). This works fine.

However, when I compiled the same source as RN to use on the machine
which runs our news software, it compiled fine, but evertime I try
to start it, I get a "Caught a SIGILL ... newsrc restored" and the
process hangs until sent a ^\.

Applying patches 49 and 50 does not make any difference to this
phenomenon.

Has anyone observed this and/or have any ideas where I might start
looking for the problem?
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/27/90)

In article <973@iiasa.UUCP> wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net (wolf paul) writes:
>However, when I compiled the same source as RN to use on the machine
>which runs our news software, it compiled fine, but evertime I try
>to start it, I get a "Caught a SIGILL ... newsrc restored" and the
>process hangs until sent a ^\.

Wierd.  A V3500 with Ultrix 3.1 (rev 9) is my principle development
environment for NNTP and RN/RRN. I use RN in the environment all the time
with no bad results.

Perhaps there is a particular mix of configuration variables that don't
work. I would suggest the following:

	1. Get a fresh copy of the fully patched kit and try that.

	2. Send me your config.sh/config.h files so I can try to
	reproduce the problem.

	3. See if you have the problem with trn.

Let me know.
--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support