[news.software.b] Moderated local newsgroups

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/28/90)

I am running Cnews using nntp on a Sun4/260 running SunOS4.0.3.

I have set up various local newsgroups for my organization (ex. ispd.help)
and I was wondering if there is any way that I can make a local newsgroup
moderated?  What is involved in sending all of the postings to this
particular newsgroup to a local moderator, who then decides what should
and shouldn't be posted?  How is the moderator defined?

Thanks.
--
                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

In article <1990Nov27.160036.6577@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>... I was wondering if there is any way that I can make a local newsgroup
>moderated?  What is involved in sending all of the postings to this
>particular newsgroup to a local moderator, who then decides what should
>and shouldn't be posted?  How is the moderator defined?

Making a local group moderated just means putting "m" in the fourth field
of the active-file entry for that group.  Then you need an entry in the
"mailpaths" control file specifying where to send postings in that group;
for example, this

foo,bar	postmaster

says to send any postings to groups foo or bar to postmaster.  That defines
the moderator.  He/she then needs to prepare postings with an appropriate
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry