[news.software.b] Zillions of Repostings

batie@agora.uucp (Alan Batie) (12/06/90)

One of my users posted an article to rec.autos.tech, and it seems that it
has developed reproductive tendencies of amazing proportions.  In looking
at the original article, I find this:

+ Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
+ From: tedm@agora.uucp (Ted Mittelstaedt)
+ Subject: Snake Oil Remedies
+ Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 06:13:41 GMT
+
+ I have seen this subject brought up before in rec.autos and the general
+ concensus seems to be that a pre-oiler will simply pressurize the oil gallery

Note that there are spaces on the blank line after "Keywords:".

In looking at the headers sent to me from various sites, it seems that
many systems are deciding to give the article a new Message-id, which,
of course means that it will be considered a new article.  I'm not sure
what to do about it, hence this posting.  A cancel message wouldn't work
because there's zillions of message-ids, and I strongly doubt it would
catch up anyhow.

Since there are only a few dozen duplicates, and not 30,000, I would guess
that only a certain release of news software is responsible; a previous
similar occurrance from another site gave indications that the particular
sites were all VMS systems.

If I remember correctly, I think the bad lines are to be interpreted as
part of the Keywords: header.  Alternatively, everything after the
 Keywords header should be considered part of the body, and since the
 Message-id is before that, I don't understand why the systems in
question decided the message needed a new one.

I'm running C news, patchlevel 90.04.16, and "Trn v1.0 based on rn
patchlevel 47" on Unix V/386 R4.0 V1.0.
--
Alan Batie                                     Some people believe they have
batie@agora.uucp                               never met a gay person.