[news.software.b] Get rid of 'em all!

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (12/13/90)

Interesting ... I just got an e-mail message with "Problems with
your active file" as the subject.  It then went on to tell me that:
"The following newsgroups are not valid and should be removed."

It then listed EVERY newsgroup in my active file, after which I was
given the delgroup command for each group (almost 1000 in all!).

Did somebody pull the plug on Usenet and didn't tell me?  How was
this message generated?  WHY was this message generated?

If I don't get a reply I'll understand why ... this newsgroup has
been eliminated!  :=)
--
                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

In article <1990Dec13.010724.25817@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>Interesting ... I just got an e-mail message with "Problems with
>your active file" as the subject.  It then went on to tell me that:
>"The following newsgroups are not valid and should be removed." ...

That's the result of a checkgroups control message.  Ignore it.  Due to
the lack of any specification of what checkgroups does, C News's handling
of it is seriously buggy.  This will be fixed eventually.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry