[news.software.b] Converting from B 2.11.19 to C news

palkovic@mdtf11.fnal.gov (John Palkovic) (12/16/90)

Platform: Sun 4, SunOS 4.1, nntp 1.5.9, B News 2.11.19

I am currently thinking about changing over to C news. I have the
latest and greatest source, patched up to yesterday. I know that I
have to turn off inbound news and flush the outgoing (nntp) queues.
What about the history database? Do I have to convert it or what? Does
the mkhistory script do it for me? Or do you just start up C news and
let 'er rip?  I'm also wondering about other things, but this seems
the most important.

Also any caveats or horror stories, etc., about changing from B to C
are welcomed.

--
John Palkovic (708) 840-3527	| palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
"A Superconductor generates electricity without resistance when cooled."

In article <PALKOVIC.90Dec15200821@mdtf11.fnal.gov> palkovic@linac.fnal.gov writes:
>I am currently thinking about changing over to C news. I have the
>latest and greatest source, patched up to yesterday. I know that I
>have to turn off inbound news and flush the outgoing (nntp) queues.
>What about the history database? Do I have to convert it or what? Does
>the mkhistory script do it for me? ...

You'll want to rebuild the history file and its associated dbm/dbz database,
since the C News history file has more information in it.  Mkhistory will
do all the work for you.  The only other thing I can think of that's of
real note is that you need to make sure that C News and NNTP agree on the
flavor of dbm/dbz database being used.  The dbz shipped with C News has
much smaller files and much higher speed than dbm, but if you want to use
it for C News, you have to rebuild NNTP to use it too.  Dbz and dbm are
*not* file-format compatible.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry