[news.software.b] togo building

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/21/90)

here is part of my sys file:

ME:all

sharkey:all,to.sharkey/all:f:

from time to time, I see lots of articles listed in
the togo file for sharkey - all saying:

 /news/no/such/article! 3000

sharkey is my primary inbound feed - yet this morning
his togo file contained 134000 blocks of the above line -

this started after recently after switching newsfeeds to
sharkey -

does it have anything to do with the fact that we are
processing a little over 1100 newsgroups?

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/22/90)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>here is part of my sys file:

>ME:all

>sharkey:all,to.sharkey/all:f:

>from time to time, I see lots of articles listed in
>the togo file for sharkey - all saying:

> /news/no/such/article! 3000

>sharkey is my primary inbound feed - yet this morning
>his togo file contained 134000 blocks of the above line -

>this started after recently after switching newsfeeds to
>sharkey -

>does it have anything to do with the fact that we are
>processing a little over 1100 newsgroups?

Futher research indicates that c-news is passing the i-have/sendme
control messages - which were originally intended for my primary
news connection - and my machine is also acting on these control
messages - duplicating sending news articles and ihave requests
to various sites on the internet.  The problem was ratified by
placing a !to in the sys entry -

happy holidays to all --