[news.software.b] expire group

news@bjm.wimsey.bc.ca (News Login) (12/19/90)

I get this error message from trying to expire in Cnews, and I'm sure
it's just a configuration error but I can't seem to track it down.

Some help would be much appreciated, anyways the error message is...
expire problems:
expire: group `alt.gourmand' (moderated) not covered by control file

what does this mean?

					Brian

stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec19.045606.486@bjm.wimsey.bc.ca> news@bjm.wimsey.bc.ca (News Login) writes:
>I get this error message from trying to expire in Cnews, and I'm sure
>it's just a configuration error but I can't seem to track it down.
>
>Some help would be much appreciated, anyways the error message is...
>expire problems:
>expire: group `alt.gourmand' (moderated) not covered by control file
>
>what does this mean?

It means that in your $NEWSCTL/explist file, you don't have something
like:

# default:  15 days
all                             x       15      -

--
	Mike Pelletier - Usenet News Admin & Programmer
"Wind, waves, etc. are breakdowns in the face of the commitment to getting

In article <1990Dec19.045606.486@bjm.wimsey.bc.ca> news@bjm.wimsey.bc.ca (News Login) writes:
>expire: group `alt.gourmand' (moderated) not covered by control file
>
>what does this mean?

From man/expire.8:

	The first line of the control file which applies to a given article is
	used to control its expiry.
	It is an error for no line to apply;
	the last line should be something like `all x 7 -'
	to ensure that at least one line is always applicable.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry