[news.software.b] cnews.help

bew@davidge (Brett Wynkoop) (12/28/90)

Greeting-
     I just got Cnews installed here and working ( I think).  I am
however having one problem.  I can not seem to get recpnews to work
and the documentation on it is almost nonexistant.  can anyone out
there tell me the format that recpnews expects the mail message to be
in for posting to a news group.  So far all mail directed that program
seems to go into a black hole without any trace of an error message
anywhere.
     On another front I would like to get my hands on the Bnews
postnews.  I find it superior to the one provided with Cnews, but all
I have now is the Cnews distribution.
      Last thing....yes I know this is news.software.b, but it was the
closest group to what I was looking for so all flames about wrong
group to /dev/null or /nil depending on your OS :)

-Brett

uucp.......phri!marob!davidge!bew

In article <1990Dec28.141340.26945@davidge> bew@davidge (Brett Wynkoop) writes:
>... I can not seem to get recpnews to work
>and the documentation on it is almost nonexistant.  can anyone out
>there tell me the format that recpnews expects the mail message to be
>in for posting to a news group...

I think you are making a fundamental mistake:  assuming that recpnews is
meant as a mail->news gateway.  It isn't.  That is a hard job.  Recpnews
is intended to receive news articles transmitted from another news site
using viapmail (see newsbatch(8)), with mail used as a transport medium
for articles that have already been posted as news.  Gatewaying *mail*
messages into a newsgroup is much harder, especially in the presence of
mailing lists, and we provide no tidy solutions for it.  There is some
stuff in our "contrib" directory that is used hereabouts for this, although
it is not terribly well documented.

>     On another front I would like to get my hands on the Bnews
>postnews.  I find it superior to the one provided with Cnews...

I'd suggest using the posting interface from a smart news reader, like
rn, instead.  That's likely to be better than either one.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry