[news.software.b] problem with B news

marc@kg6kf.AMPR.ORG (Marc de Groot) (12/28/90)

Here's the problem: my machine's UUCP name is noe.  I also have an MX
on the Internet so that my machine is known as kg6kf.ampr.org.  I don't
want the news software giving my machine name as noe.UUCP so I am trying
to get B news to call me kg6kf.ampr.org.

I tried commenting out UNAME so the software doesn't try to use the
uname() call to get my node name.  From what I read in the source, if
USG is defined uname() is used anyway.  I tried defining UUNAME as
/etc/uucpname and put my node name in there, in the form of a struct
uts_name.  That resulted in my address becoming noe.kg6kf.ampr.org.

Finally, I defined MYDOMAIN as .AMPR.ORG and HIDDENNET as kg6kf. Now,
my machine name is correct in the header, article references contain
noe.kg6kf.ampr.org, my path is listed as ..!kg6kf!marc and I haven't
even tried to fix what rn does to the Reply-To: field (see above).

My machine is a '286 running Microport System V Release 2.  Porting
code to the '286 is a nightmare, so unless someone tells me that
getting C news running is a breeze, I'll continue to believe that
it's probably easier to tweak what I have here. (2.11 B)

Can anyone help?

^M

In article <688@noe.kg6kf.AMPR.ORG> marc@noe.UUCP (Marc de Groot) writes:
>My machine is a '286 running Microport System V Release 2.  Porting
>code to the '286 is a nightmare, so unless someone tells me that
>getting C news running is a breeze...

I can't say *that* exactly, but C News does run just fine on 286s, although
relaynews and expire reportedly have to be compiled large-model.  At least
some of the folks who have tried such ports have reported "no serious
trouble".  I can't comment on your particular system, because we long ago
stopped keeping track of all the different systems our stuff is used on.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry