[news.software.b] bnews

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/21/90)

One of the machines here is an Arix multiprocessor 68020
running USG - and recently our newsfeed increased to 1100
newsgroups.  All of all sudden (after re-compiling bnews
with the size of the .newsrc set to 2048 lines) we keep
running out of inodes on our news partition.  Does this
ring any bells with anyone?

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec21.014054.29622@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>One of the machines here is an Arix multiprocessor 68020
>running USG - and recently our newsfeed increased to 1100
>newsgroups.  All of all sudden (after re-compiling bnews
>with the size of the .newsrc set to 2048 lines) we keep
>running out of inodes on our news partition.  Does this
>ring any bells with anyone?
>       Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN USA
>  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}

I'm sure you've considered the obvious.  With your increase in
newsgroups you've had a surge in volume (to go with the surge
that happened in a month ago in general) and while you still
have free disk blocks, you really are out of inodes.  The bnews
recompile is merely coincidental.

I comment without any knowledge of USG, but if it's like SysV
you've got 64K worth of inodes per filesysetm, and that's it
folks.  If you don't have symlinks, which we don't here, you
simply run out of inodes if you want to keep any substantial
quantity of news around.  It's my largest news headache right
now.  You can try mounting another filesystem under /usr/spool/news.
We tried that with /usr/spool/news/comp, but got more error msg's
thrown at us by cnews than we wanted to deal with.  Now we're
running a shortened expire once again even though /dev/news is
200 megs these days.  (and I used to think 20 megs was a lot!)

Of course, you might have a different disease than any I'm aware of.
--
  Ed. A. Hew  <edhew@xenitec.on.ca>,  XeniTec Consulting Services
  or if you're really stuck:  ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!eah