[news.software.b] inbound is garbled in c news

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (01/17/91)

hi

I am using c news in my ISC 2.2.1 box and I keep getting
"Inbound News is garbled" but as far as I am awared that
all inbound news messages have gone to /usr/spool/news
area without any problem.  I tried to figure it out
through sys file and inews stuffs.

It would be really nice to send me one if anyone have FAQ
on C News.

Please reply both email and this newsgroup.  Thank you for
your help.

willy

uunet!fungus.zso.dec.com!paine  or
uunet!seaeast.wa.com!willyp

In article <9101161750.AA00367@decpa.pa.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>I am using c news in my ISC 2.2.1 box and I keep getting
>"Inbound News is garbled"...

Are you sure you are using C News?  That is a B News message.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (01/17/91)

Cc: decwrl::"zoo.toronto.edu!henry"

newsgroups: news.software.b
Subject: Re: inbound is garbled in c news
Date: 16 Jan 91 18:55:21 GMT

In article <9101161750.AA00367@decpa.pa.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>I am using c news in my ISC 2.2.1 box and I keep getting
>"Inbound News is garbled"...

Are you sure you are using C News?  That is a B News message.

-------

Thank you for quick reply..

Yes I am running C News right now but I do still have some B news program
left idle (inactive) in my system.  All sys and active are from B News package
before I switched to B News but I modified sys to be compatible with C News.
I ran "mkhistory" to allow C News expire program to use right C news history.
I look at sys file really careful.

Can you please tell me which B News file that contains "Inbound News is
garbled"?

Thanks again for your time.

willy

gary@proa.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) (01/17/91)

In article <9101162052.AA18367@decpa.pa.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>Can you please tell me which B News file that contains "Inbound News is
>garbled"?

Ths message comes from inews during uucp unbatching.  You should look in
/usr/spool/news/.bad for the garbled batch files.  Dollars to donuts they
will be zero length.  This can happen if you are trying to post incoming news
batches while expire is running.  Either arrange that they do not run at
the same time or examine the locking being done between expire and inews and
fix it so that inews can really detect when expire is running and will
correctly either spool them or go away.   The first option is probably
the quickest to implement and should be done asap.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary