[news.software.b] trn problems

biocca@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov (Alan Biocca) (01/17/91)

I have experienced two problems with the trn package.  The first was
the mthreads database builder overloaded our nntp server so badly that
it ceased to unbatch incoming news and overflowed its disk.  This I
solved by putting a delay in mthreads to limit the rate it can request
headers at.

The second problem is that if trn loses the connection to the nntp
server (typically a timeout when a user leaves trn running but doing
nothing for awhile) it incorrectly interprets the errors and unsubscribes
the user from all newsgroups.

I have not investigated this second problem, and potential users here
have indicated they'd rather wait than switch until this is resolved.

I have installed one set of (standard) patches to the software, bringing
it to version 1.1 if I remember correctly.

	Comments? Solutions?

		Thanks,
		Alan K Biocca
		WB6ZQZ

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (01/17/91)

>I have experienced two problems with the trn package.  The first was
>the mthreads database builder overloaded our nntp server so badly that
>it ceased to unbatch incoming news and overflowed its disk.  This I
>solved by putting a delay in mthreads to limit the rate it can request
>headers at.

I found that performance was bad when the nntp server didn't run
updatemin (with C News).  I believe it causes requests for thousands
of articles that don't exist.

Also, the sever might want to run a "find /usr/spool/news
-mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;" now and then.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) (01/18/91)

In article <PPT+T9+@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
	(Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Also, the sever might want to run a "find /usr/spool/news
>-mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;" now and then.

It is advisable to exclude the news subdirectory of /usr/spool/news
from this find command so that all the important articles in
news.announce.newusers are not removed.

-John

--
palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
Hmmm... Deleted the trailing cruft.

In article <PPT+T9+@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>I found that performance was bad when the nntp server didn't run
>updatemin (with C News).  I believe it causes requests for thousands
>of articles that don't exist.

This is true.  The problem is that NNTP provides no easy way to ask for
a crucial piece of information:  "which of the articles in the min..max
range actually exist?".  Keeping min up to date, with upact or updatemin,
helps.  (It does not actually solve the problem, since the min..max range
is not necessarily densely populated, but it helps.  The only real fix
is to fix the NNTP protocol.)

>Also, the sever might want to run a "find /usr/spool/news
>-mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;" now and then.

Shouldn't be necessary under C News, unless your system crashes a lot.
C News doesn't lose articles, unless the underlying system fails on it.

Also, again under C News, a better way to do this is to run the (new)
"addmissing" program occasionally.  That adds any orphaned articles to
the history database, so they can expire normally, without disturbing
articles that legitimately have an expiry time longer than 30 days.
It's also typically faster.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry