[news.software.b] C-News slooownesss

tim (01/18/91)

SPARC 1+	SunOS 4.1	C news - Patchdate 15-Dec-1990 (#23)

I know this has been around already but I didn't think I'd need it.
(sorry)

I'm just bringing up C-news on this systems and I'm finding that relaynews
is unpacking (adding to the spool/history file) one article about every
one or two MINUTES !!!   This seems horribly SLOW.  No changes or tweeks
were done to DBZ on the initial build.  Please let me know what I forgot
or have done wrong otherwise I'll head back to good'ol Bnews which I've
been battling with since 1983.     Thanks
--
 Internet:                 <tim@MDI.COM>      |     Tim Rosmus (Sys Analyst)
 ...uw-beaver!sunup------\                    |    Mobile  Data  International

In article <1991Jan18.054713.26531@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!mdi!tim writes:
>I'm just bringing up C-news on this systems and I'm finding that relaynews
>is unpacking (adding to the spool/history file) one article about every
>one or two MINUTES !!!   This seems horribly SLOW.  No changes or tweeks
>were done to DBZ on the initial build...

Well, *something* is badly wrong.  Did you rebuild the history file?  What
does your history.dir file look like?  (It's ASCII.)  Is expire running
successfully?  (This matters because expire re-sizes the dbz hash tables
to match actual traffic loads.)
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

iverson@bang.uucp (Tim Iverson) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan18.054713.26531@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!mdi!tim writes:
>SPARC 1+	SunOS 4.1	C news - Patchdate 15-Dec-1990 (#23)
>I'm just bringing up C-news on this systems and I'm finding that relaynews
>is unpacking (adding to the spool/history file) one article about every
>one or two MINUTES !!!   This seems horribly SLOW.  No changes or tweeks
>were done to DBZ on the initial build.

Well, this info may or may not be applicable to your case, since you're
using a sun and I'm using a 386 w/ sco unix, but I had exactly the same
problem you're describing, but in addtion to being slow, *very* large
history files were created (10MB+? - I stopped it before it finished).

The problem?  Some of the modules of dbz were compiled using different
compilers - cc and rcc (aka pcc), which use different methods of returning
structures.  I eliminated the problem by recompiling the whole thing with
gcc 1.38 and it has performed flawlessly since then.

> Internet:                 <tim@MDI.COM>      |     Tim Rosmus (Sys Analyst)
> ...uw-beaver!sunup------\                    |    Mobile  Data  International
> ...uunet-------------------!mdisea!tim       |     19807 North Creek Parkway
> ...van-bc!mdivax1-------/                    |    Bothell, WA  (206) 487-5928