[news.software.b] How to redirect mail into a Newsgroup

rgg@cs.mu.oz.au (Rupert G. Goldie) (01/21/91)

I have just installed Cnews to replace our old Bnews but I am having a problem with
redirecting a mailing list into a  newsgroup. Under Bnews we had a mail alias to

pipe the mailing list into "recnews newsgroup.name". How can I do this with Cnews ?
I have read TFM but recenews and recpnews seem to assume that the mail has been sent
by mailnews.
Thanks for any advice,

			Rupert

Rupert G. Goldie, Systems Developer, Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute
rgg@aaii.oz.au						rgg!aaii!munnari!uunet

In article <3134@murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au> rgg@cs.mu.oz.au (Rupert G. Goldie) writes:
>redirecting a mailing list into a  newsgroup. Under Bnews we had a mail alias to
>pipe the mailing list into "recnews newsgroup.name". How can I do this with Cnews ?

You might want to look at the stuff in contrib, which includes some mail-news
gatewaying things used hereabouts.  There isn't a canned solution in the
"main part" of the distribution.  It's not an easy problem.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (01/22/91)

In article <3134@murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au>, rgg@cs.mu.oz.au (Rupert G. Goldie) writes:

  I have just installed Cnews to replace our old Bnews but I am having a
  problem with redirecting a mailing list into a newsgroup.  Under Bnews we
  had a mail alias to pipe the mailing list into "recnews newsgroup.name".
  How can I do this with Cnews ?

After some experimentation, I settled on (for example):

my-mailing-list: "|/bin/sed 1d |/usr/local/news/bin/inject/inews -h -n my-dist.my-mailing-list"