[news.software.b] CNews vs. Lines Header

hogan@csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) (01/12/91)

Talk about quick response....

My orginal Question....

Emmett>    I have had CNews up and running now for about a 3 weeks or
Emmett> so, and I really, REALLY like it, but I have noticed one
Emmett> oddity, the Lines: header is not getting insterted into the
Emmett> messages posted from my site.  Now I am sure it is yet another
Emmett> "no-brainer" on my part, but I am kind of at a loss as to
Emmett> where to go to fix it, is this header added by CNews or NNTP?
Emmett> Any help would be greatly appreciated (even flames, as long as
Emmett> they direct me to the correct FM ;-)

It turns out, all I needed to do was uncomment some code in inews
(right around line 183).

Thanks to:
	Guy Middleton <gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu>
	"John A. Palkovic" <palkovic@linac.fnal.gov>
	Harpal Chohan <chohan@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
	tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence)

	...and anyone else whose response I haven't gotten yet.

Emmett Hogan              Computer Science Lab, SRI International
Inet: hogan@csl.sri.com
UUCP: {ames, decwrl, pyramid, sun}!fernwood!hercules!hogan
USMAIL: EL231, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA  94025
PacBell: (415)859-3232 (voice), (415)859-2844 (fax)
ICBM: 37d 27' 14" North, 122d 10' 52" West

chohan@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Harpal Chohan) (01/12/91)

Yeah!!. I got kudos :-)..

-h
--

fk@rci.dk (Flemming Kraglund) (01/23/91)

hogan@csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) writes:

>Hello,

>   I have had CNews up and running now for about a 3 weeks or so, and
>I really, REALLY like it, but I have noticed one oddity, the Lines:
>header is not getting insterted into the messages posted from my site.
>Thanks in Advance,
>Emmett

The code which does this has been comented out, it's in the inews script,
please check that it has 3 links or edit each one (~news/inews, <BIN>/inews
and <NEWSBIN>/inject/inews).

Search for lines= and you should end at this:

# lines="`			# sop to msb, just uncomment to use
# (sed 1d $inbody;	# take out the first (blank) line
# if test -r $HOME/.signature; then
# 	echo '-- '
# 	sed 4q $HOME/.signature
# fi) | wc -l `"
# echo Lines: $lines

with more code following.
Now remove the hatches (#) in front of these lines and you will have the
--
Flemming Kraglund             fk@rci.dk                  This is my OWN opinion