[news.software.b] sites changing a message id

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (01/12/91)

Apparently various sites decided to change/add the message id on this
article making it look like it had been posted many times.  Sounds
like antisocial behavior on the part of some software somewhere.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

In article <CQP+%BA@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Apparently various sites decided to change/add the message id on this
>article making it look like it had been posted many times.  Sounds
>like antisocial behavior on the part of some software somewhere.

Last time we ran into this, the diagnosis was messed-up headers in the
original (which can happen as a result of using an old version of C News
and posting an article whose early lines begin with white space, although
the odd format of the second Message-ID line argues weakly against this)
which caused B News not to see the Message-ID header... whereupon it adds
one with a message-ID of its own invention.  So the single messed-up
original is rebroadcasted, under a new message-ID, by every B News site
it hits.  Ick.

I'm not sure this entirely accounts for this case, since the new ID looks
much more like a C News ID.  That's curious, because C News definitely does
*not* make up a message-ID to fill the gap.  Old C Newses just passed on
the article unmodified; new ones drop it on the floor.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

fk@rci.dk (Flemming Kraglund) (01/23/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In article <CQP+%BA@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>Apparently various sites decided to change/add the message id on this
>>article making it look like it had been posted many times.  Sounds
>>like antisocial behavior on the part of some software somewhere.

>Last time we ran into this, the diagnosis was messed-up headers in the
>original (which can happen as a result of using an old version of C News
>and posting an article whose early lines begin with white space, although
>the odd format of the second Message-ID line argues weakly against this)
>which caused B News not to see the Message-ID header... whereupon it adds
>one with a message-ID of its own invention.  So the single messed-up
>original is rebroadcasted, under a new message-ID, by every B News site
>it hits.  Ick.

>I'm not sure this entirely accounts for this case, since the new ID looks
>much more like a C News ID.  That's curious, because C News definitely does
>*not* make up a message-ID to fill the gap.  Old C Newses just passed on
>the article unmodified; new ones drop it on the floor.

I had that problem too, the Message-ID being put into the body and not
into the header. I am running Brendan Kehoe's extensions and found that
there is a bug in the c-version of tear making it belive that if the
first line started with a space or tab it was a continuation header
line, so it is possible that if a site is running with Brendan's
extensions and is recieving/storing articles via inews we get the
mentioned senario.

I have been trying to contact brendan the last 2 weeks but I get those
can not send for one week messages back. So going behind Brendans back
I will include a patch for tear.c.
While I am at it I will include another one for anne.misc.c which may
dump core on some ocations.
(Brendan has confirmed that he has recived the bug report on this one)

b.r.   Flemming Kraglund  fk@rci.dk

Patches follows

*** tear.c-	Thu Dec  6 17:51:39 1990
--- tear.c	Sun Jan  6 16:18:44 1991
***************
*** 48,54
  				if ((!strchr(lp,':'))||
  				    ((curline>1)&&(*lp == '\n')))
  					doit = 1;
! 			}
  			if (doit) {
  				inbody = 1;
  				fclose(fout);

--- 48,55 -----
  				if ((!strchr(lp,':'))||
  				    ((curline>1)&&(*lp == '\n')))
  					doit = 1;
! 			} else if (curline == 1)
! 				doit = 1;
  			if (doit) {
  				inbody = 1;
  				fclose(fout);
*** anne.misc.c-	Mon Dec 17 15:06:03 1990
--- anne.misc.c	Mon Dec 17 15:06:54 1990
***************
*** 46,55
      */
    t = u = safemalloc(strlen(s) + 1);

!   do {
!     if (*s != ' ' && *s != '\t')
!       *(t++) = *s;
!   } while (*s++);

    *t = '\0';
  #ifdef	DEBUG

--- 46,52 -----
      */
    t = u = safemalloc(strlen(s) + 1);

!   for (; *s; ++s) if (*s != ' ' && *s != '\t') *t++ = *s;

    *t = '\0';
  #ifdef	DEBUG
--
Flemming Kraglund             fk@rci.dk                  This is my OWN opinion

In article <1991Jan23.095309.2952@rci.dk> fk@rci.dk (Flemming Kraglund) writes:
>... I am running Brendan Kehoe's extensions and found that
>there is a bug in the c-version of tear making it belive that if the
>first line started with a space or tab it was a continuation header
>line...

Sounds like he copied our original code but hasn't been tracking our
bug fixes.  Tsk, tsk.  Straight translation from our shell files to
C code is *not* the right way to re-engineer inews.