[news.software.b] bnews & expire

joubert@afc-tci.UUCP (Joubert Berger) (01/23/91)

This is a question concerning bnews's expire.  I get a message:
   Can't lock /usr/spool/news/.rnews:  Bad file number

Can someone help me with this one.  I looked at the code but was not
quit sure what it was supposed to do.
			  Joubert

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (01/25/91)

In article <371@afc-tci.UUCP> joubert@afc-tci.UUCP (Joubert Berger) writes:
>This is a question concerning bnews's expire.  I get a message:
>   Can't lock /usr/spool/news/.rnews:  Bad file number
>
>Can someone help me with this one.  I looked at the code but was not
>quit sure what it was supposed to do.

Make sure that there is a directory /usr/spool/news/.rnews with
appropriate ownership (probably news) and permissions.  The same
ownership and permissions as /usr/spool/news would suffice.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis