[news.software.b] C News Control Msg Problem

grants@syacus.acus.oz (Grant Sayer) (01/25/91)

The following message is appearing in the errlog from C News with regard
to control messages -

relaynews: control message `PATH=/usr/lib/news/bin:/usr/lib/newsbin/ctl;version <control/5728' exited with status 0400

Does this indicate a potential problem with the mailpaths specified ?
I have the pattern "all    uunet!%s" specified in /usr/lib/mailpaths.

Thanks for any help.
-----------
Grant Sayer                   ACSnet : grants@syacus.acus.oz
Ph : +61 2 390-1339         Internet : grants@syacus.acus.OZ.AU
Fax: +61 2 390-1391             UUCP : uunet!munnari!syacus.acus.oz.au!grants

In article <1991Jan25.022709.18398@syacus.acus.oz> grants@syacus.acus.oz (Grant Sayer) writes:
>The following message is appearing in the errlog from C News with regard
>to control messages -
>
>relaynews: control message `PATH=/usr/lib/news/bin:/usr/lib/newsbin/ctl;version <control/5728' exited with status 0400
>
>Does this indicate a potential problem with the mailpaths specified ?

It almost certainly indicates that *something* is going wrong with the
mailing of control-message reponses.  Did you tell build that your
mailer understands "@"?

Try running (assuming the above article, for example, is still around)
NEWSBIN/relay/newsreply <NEWSARTS/control/5728.  That will tell you what
C News *thinks* the reply address should be.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry