[news.software.b] Is C-News reliable? Its certainly faster...

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (01/24/91)

   I have just installed C-News at our site, and am very impressed
with the speed of unbatching and versatility.

   However, I am curious, do people generally regard C-News (as of the
Dec-15th patch) as being completely reliable for news transmission?
We have several sites who consider reliability as a number one factor,
and I was curious of other peoples opinion.

   Installation was fairly straightforward, except for some problems
with permissions conflicts with the build script.  But it concerns me
that there are so many shell scripts used instead of binaries.  Scripts
are nice, but there are some things (ala postnews) that seem a little
too complex for script use.

   Anyone had any problems with the scripts?  Also, I like the methods
of checking free space, but I was curious how well recovery is taken
care of when space becomes too low (unbatching, etc).

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan24.014403.1255@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:
      I have just installed C-News at our site, and am very impressed
   with the speed of unbatching and versatility.

Yes, C-news is very quick.  I used Dave Alden's relaynews patches
(turns it into a daemon) and Paul Vixie's msgid daemon to manage news
load.  Both are available from shape.mps.ohio-state.edu.  It really
helps when you have two big, fast sites feeding you news constantly.
Our CPU usage for news has dropped to less than 10% of what it was
under B-News.  I'm very impressed.

      However, I am curious, do people generally regard C-News (as of the
   Dec-15th patch) as being completely reliable for news transmission?

I haven't seen any problems, and I keep some very complete statistics
on what goes through here.

							 Scripts
   are nice, but there are some things (ala postnews) that seem a little
   too complex for script use.

Then use the B-news postnews if you like.  There's nothing to keep you
from mixing and matching.  I've been pleasantly surprised at all the
shell scripts -- makes for quick and easy modifications to many
functions.  If you want speed and more portability, rewrite them in
perl.  I've done some minor additions for our site and have written
them in perl.
--
Rich Kaul                         | Every man is given the key to the door
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | of heaven; unfortunately, the same key

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.014403.1255@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:

>   However, I am curious, do people generally regard C-News (as of the
>Dec-15th patch) as being completely reliable for news transmission?

It's completely reliable modulo a few caveats.  See below...

>But it concerns me
>that there are so many shell scripts used instead of binaries.  Scripts
>are nice, but there are some things (ala postnews) that seem a little
>too complex for script use.

There's nothing unreliable about scripts per-se.  No worse than compiled
programs.  Provided they're written well (and C-new's are).

>   Anyone had any problems with the scripts?  Also, I like the methods
>of checking free space, but I was curious how well recovery is taken
>care of when space becomes too low (unbatching, etc).

C-news is perfectly reliable as long as:
	1) all of the throttles work, both incoming, spooling and
	   news control areas.  Test 'em.
	2) the throttles are set "reasonably"
	3) You don't routinely run close to the edge
	4) You pay attention to what C-new's admin scripts tell you.

Some suggestions:
	1) If at all possible, get the news spool area OFF of the
	   partition that has UUCP queues.  Eg: /usr/spool/news
	   and /usr/spool/uucp are different partitions.  This
	   decouples incoming throttles from outgoing ones, otherwise,
	   the throttles can sometimes go into something that looks
	   like positive feedback and your disk space goes up and
	   down like a yoyo, or your incoming feed bogs down or
	   starts tossing articles.  You want to make sure that even
	   if a big flood comes in, it doesn't bog down your outflow.
	   If it does, you're screwed.
	2) You should occasionally check to ensure that your spool
	   areas are above the thresholds.  Under certain circumstances,
	   the incoming throttle can stall out the incoming feed
	   indefinately.  Which really can get you into trouble.
	3) Write a cron script to kill incoming feed's uucico sessions
	   and temporarily "Never" that site's Systems/L.sys entries,
	   if the disk space falls below some threshold.  This should
	   be above the unpacking threshold.  Maybe Jim Mercer at lsuc
	   would publish "spoolfull" as a starting point.  (I wrote
	   much of it, but it is "his" machine)
	4) If you're getting a high volume feed, you MUST keep up.
	   Otherwise, your feed will start expiring articles before
	   they're batched to you, and you'll never catch up again.
	   (without intervention).  About a week ago I unstuck one
	   system that was over a week behind.  Needed several
	   expires (that almost rm -fr's).  Never saw so many
	   news articles go thru so fast in my life...
	5) Running expire more than once per day is often good if
	   you have high thru-put but short retention times.  You
	   want news flowing as much as possible.
	6) outgoing stuff: keep the queue sizes *down*, but at the same
	   time, up the sendbatch call times to a point where if a site
	   has fallen behind, if it connects, sendbatch will be called
	   frequently enough to keep the line busy until everything's
	   sent.  This is a compromise, because sendbatch can sometimes
	   be a real hog.

The one thing stock C news can't do is stop other sites from giving
you batches.  If you hit the unpacking threshold, news articles will
stay on your machine for longer than they should (they don't get unpacked
to be candidates for outgoing or expiry) and you'll probably start tossing
batches.  As mentioned in (3) there are programs to solve this.

There are other tools available, such as rnews.c which I believe can
do progressive expires if you're short of space, and have faster (but
less portable) ways of doing spacefor.  There are other tools to treat
other partitions on your disk as "shock absorbers" for incoming stuff.

As long as you stay away from the thresholds, you shouldn't need these
things.

Bnews, on the other hand, is a little less sophisticated in some of the
throttles.  Bnews, particularly older ones, had a tendency to fill disks,
then expire would clear some space, and Bnews would stagger on.
Possibly with corrupt history files and lost articles which you don't
get to know about.  The latest version (PL19) is pretty good.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis

In article <1991Jan24.014403.1255@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:
>   However, I am curious, do people generally regard C-News (as of the
>Dec-15th patch) as being completely reliable for news transmission?

Geoff and I do not qualify as exactly unbiased :-), but reliability is
probably our #1 concern.  C News work is not, to any great extent, what
we get paid for.  News failures almost by definition interrupt work
normally considered more important.  The biggest concern for most any
such software on our systems is that it run smoothly and not bother us.

C News was designed to behave itself unattended.  Admittedly, our
experience is not necessarily typical because we're really used to the
software... but our experience is that, with the single caveat that you
must not be too desperately short on disk space, it does behave.  We
have had fan mail from others to this effect -- e.g. "needs much less
handholding than B News" -- but it is hard to assess how representative
it is.  With well over 1000 sites running C News, however, any major
reliability problems should be inundating our mailbox with complaints.
That has not happened.  Startup problems happen, but the rare cases of
sustained difficulties seem to be local problems like strange systems.

C News does try to react well to space shortages, but its safety margins
can't be trimmed to zero, and if things get too tight it will end up
backed into a corner where it can't *do* anything for fear of overflow.
Utzoo ran with a modest disk shortage for some time, and C News coped
in day-to-day operations, but it was a constant nuisance making sure
that enough space to break any logjams did eventually become available.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (01/27/91)

>C News does try to react well to space shortages, but its safety margins
>can't be trimmed to zero, and if things get too tight it will end up
>backed into a corner where it can't *do* anything for fear of overflow.
>Utzoo ran with a modest disk shortage for some time, and C News coped
>in day-to-day operations, but it was a constant nuisance making sure
>that enough space to break any logjams did eventually become available.

I agree that C News is pretty maintenance free except for disk space
problems.

There are various C News add ons that cure this problem (and have a
few other benefits).  My favorite is available via ftp from ais.org in
/pub/news/cnews.speedups.Z

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us