[news.software.b] How crucial to run mkhistory?

toad@cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) (01/30/91)

A very recent article in, I think news.admin, recommends the deletion of a
certain very large article in alt.fan.monty-python.  This set me to
wondering: if the method of deletion would be simply to rm the article, not
to officially cancel it, how crucial would it be to run mkhistory to ensure
an accurate history file?  What bad things would happen if the file were
merely missing?

- The Cellar BBS, a responsible, kind, and caring public-access Unix site -

In article <sTikw3w163w@cellar.UUCP> toad@cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) writes:
>... if the method of deletion would be simply to rm the article, not
>to officially cancel it, how crucial would it be to run mkhistory to ensure
>an accurate history file? ...

Not at all.  An "official" cancellation does precisely the same thing.
It's impossibly hard to update an entry in the middle of the history file
when the article is cancelled.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry