[news.software.b] C News's getting garbled news response from B News

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (01/25/91)

Hi

My machine is using C News and I am getting rmail reply message from
B News site telling me that "Incomming news is garbled" .    B News
site is really wishing my system to go back to B News and I would like
to know how to find the problem with other site using B News.  Are there
known compatible problem between C News and B News?

I am getting up to 10 rmail error message from one B News site and I
have no problem with other sites.

Can you help me how to tract this problem soon?   It is long distance
newsfeed and I dont want to waste both site's time on getting rmail
error message.

Thank you for your time.

willy

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (01/26/91)

In article <9101241837.AA01633@decpa.pa.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>My machine is using C News and I am getting rmail reply message from
>B News site telling me that "Incomming news is garbled" .    B News
>site is really wishing my system to go back to B News and I would like
>to know how to find the problem with other site using B News.  Are there
>known compatible problem between C News and B News?

Not particularly, C news can be configured to feed any type of
B news.  What version of B news is the site running?  What is
on the front of the batches?  "#!rnews"? "#!cunbatch"?  Nothing?
Are they compressed batches?  Are they batched?
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis

In article <9101241837.AA01633@decpa.pa.dec.com>
	paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>My machine is using C News and I am getting rmail reply message from
>B News site telling me that "Incomming news is garbled" .    B News
>site is really wishing my system to go back to B News and I would like
>to know how to find the problem with other site using B News.  Are there
>known compatible problem between C News and B News?

I help administrate a local B News site that had the same problem
after its feed switched to C news.  It turned out that they
weren't generating compressed batches correctly.  News is now
flowing in the C News -> B News direction (but I'm convinced
that some articles are getting dropped, and C News' "terse"
log files are pretty much useless for explaining what's really
happening).  Articles posted from the B News site don't get
propagated out of the C News site and the C News administrator
has never been able to get it to work properly despite weeks of
trying.

I really wish they'd switch back to B News.  C News may be faster
on their machine, but B News WORKED CORRECTLY and seems to be
much more tolerant of less-than-wizardly administrators.

					-=EPS=-

In article <1246@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>... Are there
>>known compatible problem between C News and B News?
>
>I help administrate a local B News site that had the same problem
>after its feed switched to C news.  It turned out that they
>weren't generating compressed batches correctly...

I'm always puzzled when people report things like this, because C News
has talked to B News -- correctly, completely, without dropping articles
or doing anything else unkind -- from the beginning.  When problems have
cropped up, it's usually been because somebody got creative with the
configuration, without really understanding what he was doing, rather
than following the supplied examples.

>I'm convinced that some articles are getting dropped, and C News' "terse"
>log files are pretty much useless for explaining what's really
>happening...

What extra information should they supply?  Local experience has been that
they tell you everything you really want for debugging.

>... the C News administrator
>has never been able to get it to work properly despite weeks of
>trying.

Details would be useful.  This is not the usual experience.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/31/91)

we run cnews - and talk to bnews, cnews, waffle, ufgate plus vaxnews
sites without ANY problems..

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator