[news.software.b] Moving news thru waffle node, with out decompression

anwyn@hrnowl.lonestar.org (System Operator) (01/10/91)

Consider the following interesting news administration problem.
We have three nodes call them C, WAF, and UF. C is an unix site
running cnews. WAF is an MS-DOS site running WAFFLE 1.63. And
UF is an MS-DOS site running UFGATE. C is connected to WAF which
is connected to UF. It is not feasible to connect C directly to
UF because C has a telebit modem and UF does not and the administrator
of C objects to the long connect times that would result from a 2400
baud connection. Now the node UF wishes to receive certain newsgroups
from C. The node WAF is willing to act as an intermediary, however
node WAF does not want to have the newsgroups on his board and sees
no reason why they should be decompressed or kept any longer than is
necessary for transmission to UF. How may this be accomplished?

I am not a news expert, but I believe from reading _Managing UUCP and
Usenet_ by Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino that the node C can get his
news to node UF by adding the following line to his "sys" file:

uf:newsgroups/all:f:uux - -z -r waf!uux - uf!rmail

(Waffle uux does not have a "-z" or "-r" switch.) (In the above
"newsgroups" represents a comma separated list of the newsgroups that
node UF wants.) The compressed news is sent to uux on node WAF that
in turn sends it to rmail on node UF. Of course the static file for the
WAFFLE node will have to have the line:

uuxqt : rmail rnews uux

to allow the uux command to be executed on node WAF. Is this correct
cnews experts? Have I made an error?

I have read the UFGATE documentation, but am unable to solve the converse
problem of getting news generated on UF back to node C. As I understand it
the ".C" ".DAT" and ".XQT" files for news will be generated by a program
called newsout. They will then be sent by a program called uuslave to
the remote system. But I can not find any command in the .CTL file or
switch on any of the programs that will alter the command to transmit
the compressed news to the remote system. Have I missed anything UFGATE
experts? Has anyone encountered such a problem before?

anwyn@hrnowl.lonestar.org

In article <RT8iV1w163w@hrnowl.lonestar.org> anwyn@hrnowl.lonestar.org (System Operator) writes:
>uf:newsgroups/all:f:uux - -z -r waf!uux - uf!rmail
>
>... Is this correct
>cnews experts? Have I made an error?

'Fraid so, but not a massive one.  The "f" flag signifies that the next
field is a filename; you can't combine it with a command.  What you'll
have to do is tell the batcher to use a new "via" command, and put the
uux incantation in there.

That aside, this sounds plausible, assuming that the "rmail" on "waf" is
prepared to cope with compressed news as input without an address.  (I'd
have expected to either use "rnews" or give rmail an argument like "news",
but I have no experience with waffle...)
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/13/91)

anwyn@hrnowl.lonestar.org (System Operator) writes:
> baud connection. Now the node UF wishes to receive certain newsgroups
> from C. The node WAF is willing to act as an intermediary, however
> node WAF does not want to have the newsgroups on his board and sees

Node WAF doesn't have to have newsgroups on his board, but there's no
way to forward the compressed news batches without decompressing them,
unbatching them, and then rebatching them and recompressing them.  The
reasons for this are simple:

	1. Each site an article passes through must add its node name
	to the Path: header line.  Obviously, you can't do this to a
	compressed news batch.

	2. The intermediate site would have no way of knowing what was
	inside the news batch until it unpacked it, and thus would not
	know which messages to forward on to the next host.  (Yes, in
	this case you can assume that everything can be forwarded, but
	in most cases, it's not that easy.)

It's possible for the WAF node to use a time-based expire(8) program,
such as the Perl version written by Roy Silvernail.  In this case, you
would set the expire time to one day, and then you would only need a
minimal amount of space around for the news articles.

> the remote system. But I can not find any command in the .CTL file or
> switch on any of the programs that will alter the command to transmit
> the compressed news to the remote system. Have I missed anything UFGATE
> experts? Has anyone encountered such a problem before?

No, you haven't missed anything.  You just can't do this with UFGATE.
Perhaps it's poor design; I'm more likely to believe it's just that
you're trying to do something that the Usenet software was never
intended to do.

No doubt, it's probably possible to kludge something up.  But I think
it would be easier to just use the software the way God intended it to
be used.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (01/15/91)

In article <1iuPV1w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

  	1. Each site an article passes through must add its node name
  	to the Path: header line.  Obviously, you can't do this to a
  	compressed news batch.

The path is just a clue as to how the article got here.  If it's wrong, it
doesn't break anything that wasn't already broken (like software that tries
to reply along the path).

philip@vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) (01/16/91)

In article <4f340ead.1bc5b@pisa.ifs.umich.edu>, rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
|> In article <1iuPV1w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
|>
|>   	1. Each site an article passes through must add its node name
|>   	to the Path: header line.  Obviously, you can't do this to a
|>   	compressed news batch.
|>
|> The path is just a clue as to how the article got here.  If it's wrong, it
|> doesn't break anything that wasn't already broken (like software that tries
|> to reply along the path).

It does break things.
If you have any connections to any of the sites in the list,
and you have at least one, or you wouldn't have then news, would you :-)
then a copy of the article will be sent to all sites NOT mentioned
in the list - if they have the same policy of ignoring (or zapping, or whatever)
the list, then they will send a copy back to you - and you will .........

Philip

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/19/91)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
> The path is just a clue as to how the article got here.  If it's wrong, it
> doesn't break anything that wasn't already broken (like software that tries
> to reply along the path).

No, the Path: header is also used to prevent propagation of duplicate
messages.  Although the Message-ID: header is the primary method of
rejecting duplicates, Usenet software is supposed to examine the Path:
header for the name of the site it's about to send the article to; if
it's there, that indicates that the article has already been there and
need not be sent again.

Also, like it or not, there *is* software out there that uses the
but are YOU going to be the one to explain to your users why their
inbound mail isn't getting to them?

--

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (01/23/91)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
| Also, like it or not, there *is* software out there that uses the
| but are YOU going to be the one to explain to your users why their
| inbound mail isn't getting to them?

 Mail replies done using Path: are already broken; they occasionally
get through only out of luck and a fair bit of work by postmasters
between hither and yon. The best thing to do is to put them out of
their misery as fast as possible, so people will stop being fooled.

 People who disbelieve me should feel to ask any postmaster of a major
news machine or gateway machine. I'm the postmaster of our local
BITNET/NETNORTH<->Internet gateway, and we've recently had a spate of
messages bouncing off us because the huge To: address derived from a
overflowed a fixed-sized buffer somewhere; this is merely one example
of what can happen to such messages.

--
"Anyone forging articles should be writing news software instead,
 if you get the headers right you're ahead of some implementations.

wcf@psuecl.bitnet (Bill Fenner) (01/31/91)

In article <kVoZV2w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
> Also, like it or not, there *is* software out there that uses the

This is neat... took me a while to figure out why Marc said "mudos!header".
Then I realized, he didn't, mudos did.  The word Path: was right at the
beginning of the line, so mudos said "oh, gee, looks like a Path: header", and
prepended itself.

Someone needs to fix something . . .

--
Bill Fenner       wcf@ecl.psu.edu  wcf@psuecl.bitnet  psuvax1!hogbbs!wcfpc!wcf