[news.software.b] mailing lists as news groups

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) (02/01/91)

     I woult like to subscribe to several biology-oriented mailing lists
and gate these into local newsgroups that my users could read and post to
using a newsreader.  There are several scripts in the "contributed"
section of the C news distribution that appear to be for supporting this
but the documentation for them is sparse-to-nonexistent.

     I would be grateful to hear any hints or suggestions from anybody
who has successfully added these scripts to his/her news apparatus --
or any pointers to other methods of doing the same thing.

     Thanks very much.

                                         James P. H. Fuller
                                     jim%crom2@nstar.rn.com

calhoun@usaos.uucp (Warren D. Calhoun) (02/01/91)

In <1991Jan31.193046.6919@crom2.uucp> jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>     I woult like to subscribe to several biology-oriented mailing lists
>and gate these into local newsgroups that my users could read and post to
>using a newsreader.  There are several scripts in the "contributed"
>section of the C news distribution that appear to be for supporting this
>but the documentation for them is sparse-to-nonexistent.

As posted on the net a few days ago, if you have a mailer that can do aliasing,
(i.e. smail 3.1.18{9}), you can create an alias similar to the following:

mail-list: "| /bin/sed 1d | /usr/lib/news/bin/inject/inews -h -n local.group"

You can use the addnews script in /usr/lib/news/bin/maint to create local.group
(making sure that you do not feed local. stuff to unwanted places).

I've been sending several mailing lists to local newsgroups for several days
and have had no difficulties.

What this does not specifically handle is the flip-side of your problem (i.e.
having users be able to post via a newsreader and send the articles out via
mail).  Someone else will have to provide some help with that one.
--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: ...!uunet!usaos!calhoun    |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net |