[news.software.b] C news cancel validation

geoff@zoo.toronto.edu (Geoffrey Collyer) (02/05/91)

David C Lawrence:
>C News does no security checking whatsoever on cancel messages,
>under the theory that they are so easy to forge anyway.  While the
>latter is true, I do believe some measure of checking is good.  It's
>like putting a fence up around your yard; sure it won't stop
>determined people from crossing it, but it will stop the idle
>strollers from stomping on through.

This issue pops up periodically; I guess Henry and I are going to have
to write a FAQ message.

The real reasons that relaynews doesn't attempt validation of cancels
are that the necessary credentials are easy to forge and that attempts
in the past to validate cancels have prevented *legitimate* cancels
from taking effect because the news posting software that generated the
original From: header and the news reading software that generated the
cancel message couldn't agree on the exact spelling of the From:
header, which is what B rnews checked on cancels.  There are lots of
reasons for this, including changes in the news reader between posting
and cancellation, intermediate (old) rnews's stripping full names in
the From: comment field, and news readers generating their own From:
headers differently than inews does.  After having trouble cancelling
my own articles in the past, I decided to err on the side of making
cancels useful.

One can argue that it would just take a wee bit of AI to match the two
From: headers, but I prefer to keep AI out of my programs.  On
reflection, I think A News got this right: there were no control
messages, largely due to lack of authentication.  Unless we can come up
with a good but dirt cheap (and I *mean* dirt cheap; roughly, a few
milliseconds on a Sun 3/50 per message) authentication scheme using
encryption, I'm strongly tempted to remove all automatic processing of
destructive control messages.  After all, one can always post a follow
up saying ``Sorry, everyone.  Ignore that last message.  I was on drugs
at the time.'', and comp.mail.maps can be unbundled, processed and
expired within 24 hours.  The only real problem I see is Clarinet,
which relies heavily on cancels or Supersedes: to purge out-of-date
news stories and keep disk consumption down.

So, what's the state of the art in reversible public-key unlicensed
unpatented cryptosystems?  Still dismal?  :-)
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!geoff, zoo.toronto.edu!geoff