[news.software.b] Small problem in ``doit.bin'' in C news, 15-Dec-1990 version?

matt@eecs.nwu.edu (Matt Larson) (02/07/91)

I am a B news administrator only now getting around to making the
plunge with C news.  I am attempting to install C news (15-Dec-1990
version) on a Sun SPARCstation 1+ running SunOS 4.1.1.

For site-specific reasons I cannot use the suggested paths.  I have
made the following choices in the ``build'' script: I have defined
NEWSCTL as /usr/news/lib and NEWSBIN as /usr/news/bin.  User ``bin''
owns the source tree and will own NEWSBIN.  User ``news'' will own
everything else.

doit.root runs and clearly chowns NEWSCTL to ``news'' and NEWSBIN to
``bin'' just as it should.  The problems begin when I su to ``bin''
and run doit.bin.

Everything chugs along just fine until the script does a ``make
bininstall'' in the relay subdirectory.  The install fails with a
permission error.  Here is the offending line from the bininstall
rule in the makefile in the relay subdirectory:

        ln $(NEWSBIN)/inject/inews $(NEWSCTL)/inews 2>/dev/null || cp sh/inews $(NEWSCTL)

This script, running as bin, is clearly trying to write to the NEWSCTL
directory, owned by news.  The permissions on NEWSCTL are 775 - a
reasonable value.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is something very simple wrong,
but then again, it's only been a little over a month since this
version was released.

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

--
Matt Larson, Distributed Systems Analyst
Academic Computing and Network Services, Northwestern University

In article <3264@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> matt@acns.nwu.edu writes:
>This script, running as bin, is clearly trying to write to the NEWSCTL
>directory, owned by news.  The permissions on NEWSCTL are 775 - a
>reasonable value.

Known bug.  My fault.  Will be fixed in the next patch.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry